get another gun - different cal.

mtfree

I have to ask - I shoot the Remington 770 in 308 - good gun when I was learning about guns and hunting. I am now looking to upgrade the rifle. Should I stick with the 308 or move into a different caliber? what would be the benefits of having multiple calibers other then "look I have a lot of guns". I hear that 270 WIN can take down everything in California. I have even read some guys who hand load taking down elk? Any thoughts?

Bubblehide

What you have is plenty of gun, unless you want to get into long range hunting. Otherwise, the 308 is plenty out to 600 or so yards. However, if you rifle is blued, I'd be looking for something in stainless, or some other from of all weather gun.

Planetcat

What you have is plenty of gun, unless you want to get into long range hunting. Otherwise, the 308 is plenty out to 600 or so yards. However, if you rifle is blued, I'd be looking for something in stainless, or some other from of all weather gun.
Agreed. I love my .270, but love my .308 and .30-06 more! You get a wider range of bullet weights in the .30 caliber loadings. Plus, .308 has less recoil than the other two with same bullet weight and not much less power.

adam32

Get another gun...a .243 Win will handle everything in California easily, there's nothing here that is "hard" to kill. The best .308 Win ever made is the one that shoots .243 bullets ;)

Brnsvllyjohn

For many of us having a couple different calibers was the most logical choice. However after a few years I tend to stick with one gun 90% of the time. I like having choices but I do have a favorite gun. How and what you hunt should be the determining factor regarding caliber. I chose a 7mm mag as my second caliber after shooting a 30-06 for years. If you think you might want to shoot at longer ranges and possibly larger game then you might consider a mag and I would stick with one of the well known magnums for ammo availability (Rem. 7 mag, Winchester 300 mag). On the other hand getting a nicer 308 would not be a mistake. The 308 will do almost anything you need it to do. IMHO there is no perfect caliber just a few that are favorites. My main gun now is stainless with a synthetic stock and like Bubble said they are great all weather guns. Most will also be very accurate.

Top Bottom