Get Fit?

dlvmark

Reaction score
What do you do to get fit for the season????

db 183

Reaction score
Walk the hills around my house. I have a trail permit from East Bay Municipal Utilities District. There are a lot of trails in the hills that are good for getting your legs and lungs in shape.

D9BUCKKLR

Reaction score
thats my excuse to race motocross on the weekends that way im in shape to hunt:) I usely start to run a few miles a day a coulpe days a week the month before the season starts.. but it still seems I have to hike myself into shape every year..

Common Sense

Reaction score
Nothing, I am a road hunter
/

Actually after a backpack deer/bear hunt last October, I've been walking/jogging at least thirty minutes most evenings. Couldn't believe how wimpy I got. We'll see if it helps pretty soon, but it sure made my cardiologist happy.

blazintowers

Reaction score
I get in shape with the scouting trips and also offroading on the dirtbikes on the weekends which is also part of my scouting trips. Lots and lots of miles of single tracks that lead into some pretty nice country untouched by man!

Mirkwood

Reaction score
Run a few days a week and take some scouting trips to get the legs and lungs used to the altitude.

uscrpick

Reaction score
Bike about 30 miles a week. Gets the cardiovascular level up.

Dubya D

Reaction score
An hour of cardio at the gym and ride my bike on the weekends

hntnnut

Reaction score
Since my knees are pretty much shot, I ride my bike as much as I can with as much up hill as possible.

Richard

brave52000

Reaction score
I follow a fairly regular routine, in which I climb a 800ft elevation gain hill near my house, but in order to really get into "mountain" shape nothing can substitute for the 3 or 4 20+ mile two day scouting trips that we do in the high country.

greyghost10

Reaction score
I try to exercise all year round so I don't have to do anything special before the season. It helps that I like to mountain bike but the work outs in the gym seem to help out quite a bit as well. One exercise I started doing last year was walking up a stairwell with weights in my hands. After a while I was able to walk up carrying 40 lbs in each hand. It was not very easy but I noticed during deer hunting season the climb up a few hills was much easier than before. Living in the lowlands it is almost impossible to train for the higher altitudes .

Backcountry

Reaction score
Rancho Loco and I compete head-to-head playing Cabela's Big Game Hunter on the Playstation.

MULIES4EVER

Reaction score
Weights and cardio at the gym. Mountain biking and hiking while I am scouting. This year I have thrown in swimming laps. I am surprised at how well this works the entire body.

trophyfever

Reaction score
i walk miles quickstep, stationary bicycle for one hour, leg lifts and most important--

quickly locate an outfitter nearby with a good mule or horse available when you get your monster mule or elk!!!! Get their cell phone, satellite phone, where they are hunting, and they can be life savor for getting your animal off the mountain. Also, gives you peace of mind when you keep climbing over the "next" ridge to see what's on the other side. May have to give up some meat or spend 150 to 300 but you thank me someday.
Get a rental satellite phone too.Call anywhere any time-good for emergencies .

good luck on your hunts

cstringer09

Reaction score
well lifting 4 hrs. a day in football and wrestling helps alot. so does the running

Jake

Reaction score
2-3.5 mile runs 3 times a week at the school where my son has soccer practice, and a fair amount of core strength work. The scouting trips help alot especially if you're carrying a well stocked day pack.

Top Bottom