Getting back into Duck Hunting.

Varmint Al

Reaction score
Getting back into Duck Hunting.

Well, it is kind of complicated. My old pheasant hunting dog, Oscar is too old to hunt. So two years ago I got Bart (Bayside's Delta Breeze WC, CD with 2 legs of JH). Well, Bart is the very best hunting dog I have ever had and I want to train him for ducks. How things come together. The land where I used to hunt pheasants sold and the new owners have made it a Duck and Pheasant Hunting Club right here on Bethel Island. I am retired and it was a bit too rich for me to join, so I made a deal with them and wrote them a web page in trade for hunting privileges. I used to hunt ducks & geese in the rice fields years ago and am relearning duck calling. Anyhow, Bethel Island has a brand new hunting club with its own web page. Here is the URL for The Limit Out, Inc. Duck & Pheasant Hunting club:

http://www.varmintal.f2s.com/limitout.htm

Here is Bart's web page. Mary Ann trained him for the CD Title and we both are working on training him for the Junior Hunter Title. Bart has two legs toward the title and it isn't easy as one would think. Here is Bart's URL:

http://www.varmintal.com/abart.htm

feelinducky

Reaction score
Welcome varmit Al.  I have been to you web page many times and think its great.

songdog

Reaction score
Likewise welcome Varmint Al.  I've been stopping by your page for quite a while now.  Good to have you around.  If you're down in the Southern part of the state and want to call a few coyotes, give me a ring.

Varmint Al

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. I am very happy tonight. Bart passed the 3rd leg of the Juniour Hunter Test today at Lodi. He was almost perfect and I sure am proud of him. He was doing very good marks for direction and distance. On the last bird in water, he dropped the bird at my feet, but I stepped back a couple of steps and told him to fetch and he picked it right up. I didn't get fancy and took it from him and didn't wait for a set at heel finish. Anyhow, he passed with flying colors. One more leg to go for his JH Title. Here is a cameo of Bart.

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
Varmint Al!!  Long time buddy.

Good to see you.

Eric A. Mayer

Varmint Al

Reaction score
No ducks around at all. I don't know where they all went, but they sure are not flying around the Bethel Island area. I went out Tuesday to work on my blind a bit. There were three roosters in it! Well, all is not bad. Come Saturday Bart will be ready for some pheasant hunting. I have permission to hunt 80 acres next to the Linit Out Hunt Club and that is where the blind is located. Sometimes life is just good!!!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to our forum Varmint Al, and Bart too. I haven't been out duckin yet, deer and turkeys have had my attention this past month.

Your Varmint webpage was one of the first webpages I ever found on the wild wild web. After reading it I thought the whole Internet would be as good. I guess  that's what I get for thinking.

I got your pics too, thanks. Now I just need some time to get them put up. I'll add your hunting club to my California Hunting Links webpage also.

Looking forward to your pics of Bart bringing home some quackers.

Varmint Al

Reaction score
Hi Jesse. Thanks for the warm welcome. There aren't any ducks to speak of on Bethel Island yet, but the pheasants are as thick as fleas on a junk-yard dog's back. There is 80 acres right across the street from me and it is loaded with roosters. I have a duck blind there too and went out to work on the blind a bit and there were three big roosters in the blind! Very good sign.

We struck out on mule deer this year. We got drawn for X3B, but never found the bachelor herd. It was full moon and the deer were feeding all night long and holed up in the daylight hours. There were mountain lion tracks everywhere too. I suspect that had the herd a bit nervous too.

Jesse, you have a GREAT web page. It is like an encyclopedia on all hunting subjects. You have done an excellent job collecting and presenting the data. It reminds me of BackPack Hunter's web site. The Forums are the best. You have a great bunch of guys here sharing info and they are very polite and respectful. Keeping the forums going sure must be a lot of work. I don’t know how you have time to do it all.

I sure have been having fun training Bart. He is the first really good dog I have ever had. Bart loves to hunt and really learns fast and a dream to train. I will have some pheasant pictures. It is 46 hours and counting for the pheasant season opener. We should do pretty well. The first day, the roosters are stupid and we will be able to get pretty close. I will be hunting wild birds and they get smart by the second day.

Thanks for the link on the Limit Out Hunting club. It is nice to have a hunting club so close to home.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom