Getting it done - huge boar down

mdn6464

Reaction score
Had the pleasure and privilege to hunt with Kcravnit on Friday. Trust me when I say this guy knows his stuff. Thanks for an amazing and epic hunt. I could go on and on, but pictures speak louder than words. Thanks buddy for showing me around. It was an awesome hunt.

View attachment 84379

MGDeer

Reaction score
Dude, is that the stone you threw at it? nice harvest; I've got to practice more with my throwing arm...LOL. Seriously now tell us the highlights of the hunt please.

Wild1

Reaction score
Congrats on a gnarly hog! How 'bout more of a story…? Private land…? Bow or rifle…? Central Ca., or Northern pig…? Well done!

mdn6464

Reaction score
Some more details...

Well, we got to the hunt area at about 6am. It was a bit early so we park and sat in the car and waited for light while prepping our binos, range finder, and loaded ammo into the mag of my Tikka T3. When there was enough light to see, we crawled slowly along the hillside pausing every so often to glass. As we came around a ridge, we both immediately spot this lone boar up on the hill side. We ranged him at 390yd. I shook my head as I felt that range was pushing my limits of my throwing arm. We proceeded to try to get closer without spooking him. Finally got to a good vantage point and I range him again at 230yds, uphill. We both got into position, I nodded to indicate I was ready. I grabbed a big rock and chucked it at him and the boar starts taking off. Kcravnit tries for a follow up rock, and so did I. All I saw were puffs of dirt so I grab another rock. At this point Kcravnit yells "Whoa, stop" as the boar slows downs. We watch him stop, then fall over and roll down the hillside. As we watch him roll down the hill, another smaller black boars darts pass us down the hill. We watch it go around a ridge finger and out of sight. When we gutted my pig, we noticed his lungs were blown. We concluded that it was probably my first rock that got him and that his lungs failed him while trying to run uphill. We hike back to get the jeep, drive down to the pig, tagged and cleaned him and that was that.

MGDeer

Reaction score
Some more details...

Well, we got to the hunt area at about 6am. It was a bit early so we park and sat in the car and waited for light while prepping our binos, range finder, and loaded ammo into the mag of my Tikka T3. When there was enough light to see, we crawled slowly along the hillside pausing every so often to glass. As we came around a ridge, we both immediately spot this lone boar up on the hill side. We ranged him at 390yd. I shook my head as I felt that range was pushing my limits of my throwing arm. We proceeded to try to get closer without spooking him. Finally got to a good vantage point and I range him again at 230yds, uphill. We both got into position, I nodded to indicate I was ready. I grabbed a big rock and chucked it at him and the boar starts taking off. Kcravnit tries for a follow up rock, and so did I. All I saw were puffs of dirt so I grab another rock. At this point Kcravnit yells "Whoa, stop" as the boar slows downs. We watch him stop, then fall over and roll down the hillside. As we watch him roll down the hill, another smaller black boars darts pass us down the hill. We watch it go around a ridge finger and out of sight. When we gutted my pig, we noticed his lungs were blown. We concluded that it was probably my first rock that got him and that his lungs failed him while trying to run uphill. We hike back to get the jeep, drive down to the pig, tagged and cleaned him and that was that.
Jolly good ! most awesome. Best of luck on the next one and God bless.

Sniper1

Reaction score
Nice job, looks like some steep thick country.

Congrats ...

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
It's nice when someone can point u in the right direction and succeed with a game plan, congrats on the nice hog.......tra

7MMHunter

Reaction score
Big Big Congrats Mdn! Been missing you at FHL. Lets hook up soon over there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7MMHunter

Reaction score
I'll call you tonight w the details. Need to touch base with XDhunter and CrazySam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Felq

Reaction score
I just want to recognize that kcravnit is a valuable member of JHO. He's obviously knows his stuff!

Top Bottom