Getting Rid of My Outback....

Hoggin Hank

Reaction score
Well I haven't posted in while because of being busy and such. I have been shooting my Mathews Outback for the last couple of weeks after putting it in the reloading room a couple of months ago. Some of you might recall all the questions I asked on here about the bow and why I couldn't get it to shoot. Well I did confirm it was me and not the bow. 2 other firemen I work with shoot Mathews bows and they shot it without a problem. 3 guys at the bow shop also had no problem sending arrows down range without any of the tail kick that I was experienceing.

So I went ahead and put it on e-bay. I am done with the whole ordeal. I am in need of a 16' trailer anyways and I can use my old PSE Durango that shoots just fine in my hands.

The bummer is that maybe a LOT more shooting could possibly tune ME to the bow but after spending $700 + for the bare bow a fella would expect to be able to pick it up and send arrows down range without much trouble. Every time I would get it out of the case and shoot, the first 3 shots would be good without any tail kick. The rest of the shots would be here and there. I think that it was so much an issue IN MY MIND that I would probably never get over it any ways. I will probably not have much trouble selling it since the bows I've seen on e-bay go pretty quick.

Maybe after the hunting season kicks in and I sell a few hog traps I can afford to get a Bowtech Patriot. Thats the other bow that I was tornon chosing between with the Outback. I knew I should have went with my gut feeling. Hind sight is 20/20 they say and they are right. I shot one the other day 9A Bowtech Patriot)and it paper tunes and send arrows down range without any tail kick. Though it's not as smooth as the Outback it still shoots very quiet and sends the arrows at 265 FPS + and thats all I am wanting my bow to do. I will keep ya'll posted and wish me luck..Adios' for now.

arlow

Banned
Reaction score
One bit of advice. If you do decide to get another new bow go to a shop that will allows you to shoot the bows before you purchase so you dont end up with the same problem. Shoot as many different models as you can to see which one shoots best for you. Only then can you be guaranteed to be happ with teh bow. I believe that you have some problem with your form that should be corrected first but a bow with a bit of a different grip may help you. Have you tried the hoyts. I like the grips on the hoyts better cause they are smaller and they naturally shoot fantastic for me.

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Im with Arlow... Shoot as MANY differant bows as you can... stick with the quality names. Hoyt,Parker,Bowtech,Mathews etc... and dont let name or look influence you, see what is comfortable to you and shoot them all and then decide.

I think you have mechanics problem, or a tuning problem your having. and its not the Bow... I have a Mathews Outback myself. 27.5" draw. I have never been as accurate with a Bow as I am this year. I think its more the rest and no peep Im using on this setup... than the bow itself

I set this Bow up with a trap door drop away and a No peep. My Mathews Q2XL is setup with a whisker bisquit... I love the Biscuit, but its not as accurate as the drop away.

what poundage were you shooting? and were the arrows spined correctly? also did you set it up or a shop? I lazer allign my centershot with arrow on rest from nock to field point then Bow squere your nock a few tweaks here and there and you should have been set.

Good luck to you, sorry it did not work out for you...

Hoggin Hank

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and ideas on what is going on with me. I actually shot a few different bows for the better part of one day and came back the next week and shot again for about 3 hours before I decided. I liked the Outback a lot and it was a hard decision between the Bowtech Liberty/Patriot and the Outback. Even when I shot the Outback that the bowshop had set up(the test bow that they let every one shoot) it sent the arrows down range with some tail kick when I shot it. I asked the shop owner to see if it was paper tuned or just tuned in general and he and his tech shot it through paper and I watched them send a couple arrows down range. Well the bow shot just fine for both of them. And actually I could get the bow to shoot through paper about 3 out of 5 with a "Perfect Bullet Hole" but I still thought that the bow was not tweeked perfectly for me so I just wrote it off. I went with the Outback because it was so smooth,quiet and fast that it really impressed me. So I bought it. I usually do all my own bow stuff but I let them initially put on the drop away rest and the loop, peep and silencers. I added the sight at home and shot it a little and tweeked it some more. The 2 out of 3 shots that were tailing left(mostly, but some tailed right) kind of started getting to me. Well it got to the point that even after 2 hours in the bowshop and watching other folks shoot my bow with no problems at all the tech and owner figured it was my grip and that I was torqueing the bow. I was going to try an after market grip and spend some more time with it because I'm pretty sure I could overcome my form/grip issue and have an awesome rig that I could rely on but it was so overwhelming when I shot that all I could do it set my self up for a bad grip or inconsistant shooting. I still have an old MQ1,Mathews that I use for my second to the back up bow and my PSE Durango that I had as my primary bow up until I got the Outback. I will just use my PSE until I can afford to get another bow after I sell some hog traps. I will definitely leave the shop with a bow that "Fits Me" and doesn't tail kick the arrows because of my grip..

Just to solidify that it is me and not the bow my neighbor came over the other night before I took of the rest and shot it a few times. He liked it alot and sent arrows at the target as straight as ever and this is only his second year shooting a compound bow. He just bought a Mathews last year and he loves it. Maybe I am just so used to my PSE that I need alot more time to adjust to a new style bow/grip.. Who knows. I do know that someone is going to be really happy with the bow and I am going to be able to buy a trailer that I need very badly..

Thanks again for the advice and input. Sorry I rambled on so much..

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
no rambling Hank,

Your explaining yourself well and its appreciatted. Sometimes a bow just is not for you, be it mental physical or whatever. You made an effort tyo set it up to meet your needs and thats all you can do, you need to have confidence in what your shooting, so your decission is prudent, wise and understood.

wish you the best of luck, had I not already bought an outback, I surely would be giving you a call, good luck you should have no problems selling it.

best to you this hunting season

Dan "Obh"

Hoggin Hank

Reaction score
Thanks Dan. I will hopefully get my bow sold today. The auction seems to have picked up alot this morning. I have 12 bids now and they all happened in about 10 minutes. My reserve of $615 has been met so at least I will get most of my money back. I have included 6 arrows, sight , loop knock, peep and silencers. I'm guessing it will go for around $650 but time will tell. The auction ends at about 430 pm today. I have received numerous calls and offers so I'm hoping it will go for more than $650
I am going to shoot my PSE Durango for the rest of this year. It sends arrows down range at 264 FPS and I'm very comfortable out to 25 yards. I'm know the old saying "Don't fix it if it aint broke" applies but sometimes you just feel the need to get something nice for all your hard work. I'm not sure what I will get next but the bow shop owner said he would give me a really good deal since he said he appreciates me hanging in there with this bow and not giving up. I already get a 10% Fire/EMS discount for being a Public Safety worker but that usually does not apply to bows, just accessories. He said he would extend the 10% towards my next bow purchase. Thats pretty nice of him. I will keep ya'll posted if I end up getting a new bow and how well this bow sells for me.Adios' for now...

Hoggin Hank

Reaction score
Well to my surprise yesterday when I got home after the auction had ended I logged onto e-bay and found that my bow sold for $750.

That is more than I thought it would bring. There were 25 bids on it and a couple guys were pretty hell bent to outbid each other

The winner is from MO. and he said that the Outback lists for $729.00 retail in his area and after the TTL he would have spent more than $750 anyways, and thats not including the 6 arrows, sight, loop knock, peep and silencers I included. I also found out that it was good that I still had the warranty card and it was NOT filled out yet

I am going to order that trailer I need today and maybe at the end of this season I will find a new bow that I can shoot a little better than the Outback.I sure wish that bow worked out for be but it's better I sold it while it is the "In Thing" bow. It went for $100 more than I thought it would go. Well hind sight is 20/20 and I will take this lesson with me when I go to purchase my next bow. Heck, I might not even get a new bow this year. After shooting the Outback, though it was the smoothest, quietest bow I had ever shot, my PSE Durango sure does put them in the 12 ring. Well I'm off to do a little welding . Adios' for now..

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Hank,

Congrats on the Sale of the Bow... Im Happy it brought more than you expected, But not surprised as someone pointed out to you from Ebay it lists and sells for more than that in there area, so It was a good deal. I would have jumped on it Had I not already owned one. It was a VERY good deal.

Heck if yer putting them in the 12 ring, why even worry about a new Bow, sound slike you and your current Bow are pretty fond of one another.

Btw. you do some VERY nice work in the things you make, they look great, I wish I had the use for some of them in the type of hunting I do, seems you really build some quality stuff.

Some of them Hogs down there get Big, I can see where that lift would be a life saver on the back...

good luck this season

Dan

Top Bottom