Getting started.....

Shot

Reaction score
So I what to get into reloading. I have no idea where to start. Are there books or website that can teach everything to a newbie from the start? How did you guys learn? Thanks for the help.

Shot

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
I started when I was around 13. Yuck. That was 40 years ago. Any way, I watched a guy at a shooting range using a Lyman hand tool reloading ammo he had fired at the range. He suggested the lyman reloading manual. I got my hands on one and the rest is history. Here is a link to the Lyman instructional website. If you live close to Oceanside in Southern Cal I can probably give you a hands on look before you try it on your own.

getting started

Cda55

Reaction score
The Speer reloading manual goes through everything. You can pick it up at any sports store that sells reloading stuff.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Shot what do you want to reload? There's an old thread around that covers the subject pretty good. I'll see if I can fid it.

Shot

Reaction score
Well, I want to reload for all my centerfire rifles (300 win mag, 30.06, and .308).

Shot

Reaction score
alright, here is another problem I have. I was givin a bunch of reloading stuff that I have no idea what they are (long story). Are there diagrams for this stuff? If not I can post pics of the stuff I have and maybe you guys can tell me.

Karstic, I read your post, it helped a bit.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
You can probably look at the RCBS, LEE, etc websites and try to identify things that way or like you said post up a picture and i'm sure enough people will chime in.

At first i was kinda overwhelmed at the process of reloading after reading a bunch of material, but when I sat down and actually did it, it wasn't all that complicated. The basic steps are pretty straight forward. The RCBS site has a pretty good step-by-step demo of reloading a CF cartridge.

arizona hunter

Reaction score
Congrats! I got into reloading three years ago and it's addicting.
Bought a Speer manual #13, it is very complete and had me reloading 30.06 the first day. But books by Hornady, Lyman, Sierra, Lee are good too.

One note; If you plan to shoot some of the Barnes bullets (like the blue XLC which I hunt with), you may want to get theire #3 Manual.

My press is an 1965 (really) RCBS single stage and has worked just fine, so you don't need an expensive "do-it-all" model. If you start reloading a lot of handgun ammo, though then you may want to invest in one.

Since reloading makes it so much more economical to shoot you will find yourself practicing more often. For example, I found the load I wanted with the Barnes XLC's and then got some inexpensive REM Core Lokts and use them for practice on water jugs etc.

Also, if you live near a large firearms dealer, you may check and see if they ever have factory reps in to do demos. I went to a RCBS clinic (free) in Phoenix, and it really helped me understand some of the "hows and whys". At the time I did not have any friends that reloaded, but if you do, ask them to invite you over and show you how it's done.

Have fun, and always , always, always follow directions.

Val

Reaction score
Shot,
The best way to learn reloading is to have an expierenced reloader run you through the process on his equipment. This is after you read the manuals, such as the suggested Lyman manual. If you don't know a reloader, I live in Torrance and would be willing to show you on my equipment.
Val

Top Bottom