Getting Started

jayber

Reaction score
I'm interested in trying the sport of turkey hunting.  However, I don't know the first thing about calling.  I know I've got quite a bit of homework to do.  So, can someone recommend a good video to get that demonstrates the calling 'art'?  Any other tips are more than welcome.

Tominator

Reaction score
HS Strut has a line of calls out that has a video describing the use of each call type. The only one I've seen comes with their "black widow" slate call and the tape was prety informative. I may be able to find it and if I do I'll get your addy and send it to you(last time I looked I couldn't find it so don't hold your breath). Kenny morgan also has an excellent tape out about the vocalizations of turkey and reproducing them with different types of calls but it doesn't really address the issue of how to use the calls for beginners. Buy you a couple of calls and a tape or cd with turkey sounds on it and have at it is probably the best advice. Knight and Hale Ol' Yeller or Primos' Power crystals are 2 good calls to start with. You can get either for under $20 and both are very good calls, I especially like the primos.
Tominator

jayber

Reaction score
Do you suggest slate calls for beginners?  I've heard the diaphram calls can be tricky.  I plan on hunting with a bow, so I'm thinking that drawing back will be movement enough.  Not sure I want to drop a call and reach for my bow.

Tominator

Reaction score
I do, but most may not. Mouth calls are great if you can use them but you either have it or you don't. As far as putting the call away in time is concerned, it shouldn't be a problem the majority of the time. The closer the bird gets with you still calling the more he wants to see a hen in most cases. Once he commits to coming in, let him come without disturbing him. If he's coming in and you call some more, 9 times out of 10 he'll stop and look around before continuing. This also gives him time to analyze the situation some more and that's not always a good thing. Most bowhunters hunt turkeys from a blind so if you go that route movement is a moot point anyway. Rent you some turkey videos and watch and see what happens. Bear in mind that these guys call ALOT MORE than you would in normal situations because they need to keep the bird gobbling and strutting for the camera for a while before they shoot, almost everytime they start calling again to a bird in sight it will stop and look around.
Tominator

killinturks

Reaction score
jayber, i think you said you were from madison. if so sauk city ace hardware has a big seminar weekend in late winter or early spring, its a really good place to start. also the nwtf has a lot of stuff going on around here. check their web site out. and when you get sent your tags they send you a list of free classes, also worthwhile.like tominator said check out some videos, thats how i learned, i sat there driving  the woman nuts playing them and trying to mimic the calling. if you know someone with some penned birds spend some time listening to them. observe the turkeys while deer hunting, and watch along the roads,remembering where you saw them and at what times. wisconsin has pretty fine turkey hunting.

woodsman

Reaction score
Try walmart .They sell the "BABE WINKLMAN GAME CALL 4.0 Mallard/Deer/Turkey"
It works with your computor .
you can compare your sound with his ,It records your sound and grades you on your performance .

(Edited by woodsman at 9:45 pm on May 22, 2002)

killinturks

Reaction score
i got one of those.i paid 7 bucks on clearance. its pretty cool but it has this nasty habit of laughing instead of grading me. actually it gives a good start in the right direction

woodsman

Reaction score
It works well some times,  when its not laughing, only some times .
My problem is my wife gets P O'd at me because the computor is next to the tv room. (I'm to loud for her) :far-side-guy-yellin:

(Edited by woodsman at 10:49 pm on May 22, 2002)

killinturks

Reaction score
hi Jayber, been giving this some thought? i just got back from stevens point walmart. got a cody envy peg and pot call for 11 bucks,several half price or less diapragm calls,and several lynch box calls for 7.50. doing some early christmas shopping. if you yhink you want to try it now is discount deal time. check out the baraboo super walmart, last year they had tons of stuff cheap.

Advertisement

Top Bottom