Getting your HAM (amateur) license

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Getting your HAM license is easy and opens up a whole new world as far as communications. Coverage is usually better than cell phones and is free or a minumal charge for phone patch use on certain repeaters.

Most new amateur radio operators start with the "no-code" Technician Class operator license. No morse code is required for this license. You must pass element 2 which consists of 35 questions concerning the privileges of a Technician Class operator license. The minimum passing score is 26. There are many study books available at Radio Shack and the local library. The cost of the test is a maximum of $6.60.

This FCC webpage explains what you need to get a HAM license and where to take the test.  http://www.fcc.gov/wtb/amateur/amhow2.html

Another good website about HAM radio is the ARRL.

http://www.arrl.org/

kinglongshanks

Reaction score
Hi Jesse!  Great web site!  After 30+ years, I'm finaly back in Ham radio.  I used to be one in 8th and 9th grade, but soon lost interest.  After my dad past his Ham license, I past mine June 5.  I am a Tech. + and will be studing for my General license.  
 Are you a Ham?  My call letters are: Kc0KVS.

Hook

Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting back into commo, I was a commo guy in the Army I had lots of exposure to some nice commo gear, but since I got out I've left it behind.

Can anyone recommend a book for the General license. I know Morse Code, I just need to brush up.

Thanks

Marty

Reaction score
The instructional books authored by Gordon West are excellent for first time, and reviewing the basics. There should be a new edition published this month. The series is a common shelf item at all Radio Shack stores.

T F Coyote

Reaction score
I got my tech license last month. To study, I just kept retaking the practice exams at E-Ham until I consistently got a passing score. I only missed one on the actual test.

You can also try theARRL site for study materials. They publish several books.

Hook

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll take a look at the site and books, as well as brush up on my Code.

scoobysteve

Reaction score
Hey Guys, going for the Element 2 exam soon. I'm like you Coyote, I've ben taking those practice exams and am now down to missing between 5-7 questions. My problem child is the different bands and frequencies. Any suggestions????

chuck78

Reaction score
Hello I am a Ham radio operator as well. I have been for about 13 years or so now. Just wondering what everyones calls are.

Tom (KB8TRP)

huntmuch

Reaction score
KI6FLP, but soon to be K6ARW (vanity). I'm on the WIN system (monitor Santiago primarily)
73's
Randy

jmabbott888

Reaction score
As an update to this the FCC has announced the code has been deleted from the test requirements for all licences. Probably won't take effect for a month or 2 but its happening.

SethWolf

Reaction score
This is Seth, KI6ATM, out of Lancaster, CA
I'm a General Class Licensee

jmabbott888

Reaction score
Hey Seth, what kind of radio do you run on 2m & 440? I run a Yaesu vx7r

SethWolf

Reaction score
Well, for my shack, I use my Icom IC-7000, & for mobile, I use My Icom IC-208H

Hitechhunter

Reaction score
I'm not up on the latest gear, but I am getting back into it. What's a good, inexpensive, all around 2M HT? Light enough for hunting/backpacking, powerful enough for mobile chat?

jmabbott888

Reaction score
The Yaesu VX-7R is a quad bander handheld, 6m, 2m, 220mhz & 440mhz, puts out 5 watts & for me works great. It's small, waterproof to 3feet for 30minutes if I remember correctly. Only problem is they are a little pricey at 300 bucks from AES.

Hitechhunter

Reaction score
Thanks. I wonder if a 2M only version is available for less?

I'm also a gold prospector, BTW.

Top Bottom