GGGGobbbllle

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
Went through my turkey area this morning and boy were the jakes sounding off.  It about kills me to wait another month

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
Here in Ohio I have not heard a peep yet.
shovelerslayer, would you please let us know what state you're talking about?

KIDKY

Reaction score
yeah, nothing in central Ky yet either - but i'll be sure to let ya'll know when they finally do get fired up!!

ohhunter

Reaction score
I'll be going out sunday here in ohio to scout two new farms that i just got permission for I;ll check back .I seen a gang of jakes in the fall they;ll be sounding off soon.

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
I'm in Central CA.  The weather is real warm all of the sudden (65-70) and the young guys were getting excited...

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
Has any study ever proven what triggers the gobbler's mating season?  You know, like the rut is controlled by number of hours of daylight in the deer world.  I'm wondering if the air temperature and weather conditions don't have anything to do with ole Mr. Gobbler sounding off.  Can anyone shed some daylight hours on this subject?

Drake Slayer

Reaction score
I've heard it is the daylight hours with turkeys also that triggers when they breed. The weather only affects how vigorously they pursue it.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Went out to put up my feeder today and seen about 30 hens,and everywhere i looked the woods were torn up from the turkeys scratching,it may be a good yr.

bohunter7

Reaction score
I drove through the julian California area today (02-24-02) saw about 20 in one spot, one big tom and 5-6 jakes. Problem is its private land. If anyone in the San Diego area just wants to see birds, drive into Julian and its back roads, you'll see'm. I like to pratice my calling with them, then I dont distrub my hunting areas too much.

Top Bottom