Giant Squid are back

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Anybody fish these before?

I guess technically they are the Humboldt squid.  They are about 2-3 feet including tentacles.  They are a hoot!!

I fished them a few years back.  I think they are cyclical if I remember correctly.  They were a blast!!  There must have been around 80 people on the boat and we all had our limits.  It's not really a challenging thing, but is sure is messy.  Everybody lined up on the rail with rain gear on ready to get soaked by the ink and water from the squid.

I heard that the Chubasco II took 15 of them.  Does anybody know what landing they are at?

hronk

Reaction score
We caught them on a 4 day trip out of San Diego last July.  The 1st one I caught I pulled out of the water and it hosed down the guy next to me.  Not wanting to get him upset, I lowered the Squid back into the water not realizing that he was just reloading....GREAT eating....hronk

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Those squid were off our coast back in '75 or so.  I was working in the bait shop on the Huntington Beach pier and had about the only actual squid jig on the pier, or so it seemed.  I'd get off work in the evening, find a family that didn't have many squid, and offer to catch all they wanted for a dime apiece.  Once their buckets were full I'd find another family.  When I had enough money for dinner I'd go out to the restaurant on the end and get a burger with everything imaginable on it (it helps to know the cook).

The people were lining both sides of the pier shoulder to shoulder by the time the sun went down each evening.  Everyone would get hits by the squid but the only people bringing more than a few of them over the rail were those with squid jigs.  The squid run on the coast cleaned out every tackle shop for those jigs within a few days of the beginning.

Those squid were great in spaghetti!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
That's funny hronk.

Sounds like a good trip for the mother-in-law or boss for some hosing down.

Advertisement

Top Bottom