Glass for 370/380's IR Mods

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
I am going to follow the lead of a few others that have been building IR Cams and have some questins for those who have built them.

I am currently building my first IR Cams, and am looking for where to get the glass to replace the IR Filter, how is everyone thats built these going about that.

I am going to go with the edmunds filter, same as Otto and DonLetho are using and a few others.

I have never tried IR, but am anxious to see how they work as compared to white flash, my hopes are for scrape activity its non offensive.

I wanted to use both the cameras flash and slave flash exposed, so plan to cover them btoh with edmunds material, versus only cutting for the slave. I can always cover it if I need to later, But wanted to try them both, as much light as I can get is my thinking.

Dan

PaPaBob

Reaction score
OBH: I am also interested in building my first IR cam and will be monitoring this topic. Thanks for initiating it. In answer to your question about the replacement glass I had posted a topic about this a while back and Otto responded that he just uses plain old picture glass and uses a glass cutter until it gets one the right size. Have fun!!!

D Letho

Reaction score
Dan ,
I use picture frame glass in my 380s . It is thinner but thats why you have to refocus the cam .

One trick I did was to take pictures of a deer mount from differant angels and at differant distances , till I was happy . I viewed the pics on the computer since it is kind of hard to see on the LCD screen .

I also use the 380 flash . I have a 1/8 thick ir filter on that flash . You might want to tey only 2 layers on the 380 flash since it is not as big and bright as the slave . You can always add another layer later if need be .

Don

ACrowe

Reaction score
OBH,
I just finished a couple of IR cams 1- D380 and 1-D370. I got my IR glass from the Pixcontroller site (I wish it had been a little larger pieces though). But a couple of the guys here were nice enough to send me the replacement glass for the IR filter. I have some of those left if you like me to send you a couple.

On a side note I think the D380 daytime pics look better than the 370's do. But I guess thats a matter of opinion. They both look great in the dark.

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...

How close in thickness is ok?.. or is there plenty of tolerance to refocus. I have not actually taken it out yet, but am going to do so tonight. If I can use Picture glass then that sounds like a good way to go, I thought it was thicker than that for some reason. so its about 1/8" thick... does not sound to bad...

I thought that small would be hard to cut, but i think I may give it a try. as you and others suggested, never cut glass that small thought I would have a hard time with it.

good tip on the refocus issue, your pics were nice and clear, Im going to have to do that. thanks

Acrowe, I have some pic glass, that Im gonna give a try at cutting. once i get the filter out. If not I will get back to you, thanks for the offer. I would ot have thought there to be a differance in the 370/380 but guess there is, glad you mentioned it. because I was loking at doing a 370 also, think I wil stick to the 380 then.

Dan

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Don,

you mention 2 layers thick on the cameras flash, possiblkey 3 am I understandiung you correctly. But you deffiantely want 3 layers on the slave flash is this correct, Im getting ready to place an order for edmunds material

Dan

D Letho

Reaction score
Dan ,
Use three layers of the edmunds IR filter over your Slave flash yes !

I would try two layers over your 380 flash first and see how it liooks for brightness when triggered . I didnt use any glass over the camera flash just the ir filter . Like I said above it will be easier to add a layer to the camera flash if you need it then to try to pull one off .

As for cuting the glass , it will take a coulpe tries to get one good one lol . Did for me anyway .
Don

D Letho

Reaction score
Dan almost forgot ..........

Make sure they glass you put in your cam is CLEAN . Would hate to see you take it apsrt cause you had a finger print on it .

Also I killed one LCD screen doing this mod . Tape it the the board so it does not move around on you . My LCD hit the board and shorted it out .

DropTheHammer

Reaction score
OBH,

I can't remember what the thickness of the actual D380 IR filter was, somewhere I have the exact dimensions written down, if I find them I will post.

I went to a local glass shop and had them cut me several from plate window glass of the appropriate thickness. Unfortunately, most of the pieces seen in the link above have rough edges on them and need to be honed to fit correctly. Out of the pile I have only found 2 drop in replacements thus far.

The rest of my photos/notes of the D380 IR-Dectomy process can be located here.

ACrowe

Reaction score
Dan,
The closer you get to the same thinkness on the replacement filter glass the less refocusing that will be needed. I can measure the ones I took out this past week and post it if you like?

Steiner

Reaction score
I have a question about the IR filter material that everyone is using from Edmunds. I went to their web site and it shows they are out of stock. The e-mail I got back said they would have some by 9/13. Is everyone using an alternate source or are you just waiting until they receive some?

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
thanks everyone for the help.

Don,

Thanks for the info, I will go ahead and do as you suggested can always add a 3rd to the flash of the camera if needed.

DTH,

from what you are saying and Don its gonna take a few times to get a cut piece just rite,I am going out today to get some pic glass and a cutter and see what I can di with it.

I will make sure I use tweezers and the glass is cean before putting it back in. let you know how it turns out.

Acrowe. If you got them handy, I would not mind having them, But I will be taking mine aoart and can Mike it then also, but maybe I can find the exact thicknes that would be nice.

Steiner, I bought a Bunch yesterday from Edmunds. I know the 4"x5" was out and expected in later this month, but he others were in stock.

Dan

moosejaw

Reaction score
Guys,

I completed one a few weeks back with picture frame glass,if I remember correctly,I had to turn the focus ring counter clock wise to refocus.I went clock wise the first trys and burned up a fair amount of time by going the wrong direction. Anyone else recall this.

ACrowe

Reaction score
All that I have done the replacement glass was a little thinner and I had to counter clockwise too.

pachanga

Reaction score
Dan, I used microscope glass that I cut to size and used 3 pieces to bring it up to size but was still short a little. I had to re focus the camera as I had drilled a small hole in the front and used a dental pick to adjust it. Tried with no hole and after an hour I jut drilled a hole in the cover and had it ajusted in 5 min's.

pachanga

Reaction score
I also wanted to say I work with optical enginners and that the difference is that what you take out you (if you do not replace the glass or its short in the replacment glass) have to move the front lens in by 1/3 the thickness. FYI. Of you want to see some pictures of the front of my camera where the hole is to adjust it I will post them

Dan

PaPaBob

Reaction score
Dan, i would like to see where you drilled the hole for the refocusing. Thanks

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
thanks guys

the counterclockwise inforation is good to know, thanks for posting that, should be helpful. still have not done this yet, but my edmunds filter should be here by later this week so I better get busy.

Pachanga,

yes me too. I would like to see that hole where you drilled it, I have heard of that once before, seems like a neat lil method to tweak the focus. so cams 100/% complete and back together with this method, is that correct?

Dan

pachanga

Reaction score
I will post a picture tomorrow as I tried to get in last night from home but could not get in to the form.

Dan

treestandman2

Reaction score
Dan,
I found a piece of plastic that seems to be close enough to the original glass thickness that I don't have to refocus. I cut it with a saw trying not to scratch it and so far on my 370 and 380's it has worked. If you want to try a piece let me know and I'll see if I have any left. I also saw your post on mock scrap material and will be trying that out.
Good hunting

Top Bottom