Global Warming Rushes Timing of Spring

chuam

Reaction score
WASHINGTON (AP) - The capital's famous cherry trees are primed to burst out in a perfect pink peak about the end of this month. Thirty years ago, the trees usually waited to bloom till around April 5.

In central California, the first of the field skipper sachem, a drab little butterfly, was fluttering about on March 12. Just 25 years ago, that creature predictably emerged there anywhere from mid-April to mid-May.

link

I think we are having an impact on the global climate but I don't think it as much as some say or as little as others say. Personally I would hedge my bets that we are having some impact.

BDB

Reaction score
I would agree we (humans) are having an impact. Again agree with you, that it's not the vast or limited amount each side likes to spout off about. My opinion is if the scale is 1-10, 1 being no impact (as one side claims) and 10 for extreme impact as the other claims, I give us a 3.

All that said, I got this from my mother this morning after one of the coldest winters in Halifax, Nova Scotia in many many years. Seems most of the east coast and mid west didn't really have an unusually warm winter

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I just heard on the TV it is about 17 hours till Spring!!! That is a joke, it is -9C this morning, yesterday it was -7C with a windchill of -18. Long way for us till Spring.[/b]

chuckslayer

Reaction score
What a jug of sap ! Globally, the coldest winter in many years..including here..and Chaum expects to swallow this liberal pablum
as easily as he does !

Orygun

Reaction score
In 1933 we had folks wondering why the winters were so mild:

http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/mwr/061/mwr-061-09-0251.pdf

Course a few years later it got bloody cold for a while and we were back to cooling. And then hot and so on.

Things are coming on just about right in my neck of the woods.

If we are doing anything beyond localized changes to climate, it is not worth waste of time and money to "fix" a "problem."

If the globe is warming, can anyone tell me what the planetary average temperature is supposed to be and how come it hasn't stayed there in the past? And why is that the ideal temperature?

Val

Reaction score
I just read an article that stated that there is more ice in Antartica now than in over a hundred years. The reason stated is that the sun is emitting less energy than in the recent past. I think Gore has to give back his oscar and his Nobel prize should be taken away. His documentary is pure unmitagated BS.

chuckslayer

Reaction score
Val;

Almost everybody who doesn't have his/her head buried in the sand, knows that the Oscars and the Nobel Prize are nothing but
awards for liberal points of view.

Appropriately enough, the latter one is not named " Noble prize"..

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with you Chuam. We are having an impact. And have had an impact.
Unless you live in Rural New York.
Nature has no politics.
It just does what it does.
The Ice Packs are back.
Al Gore is an idiot.
So lets hope the sun doesn't burn out.
And gas prices get lower.

easymoney

Reaction score
Forty years ago the condor was extinct in the wild, wonder how they made such a "great" comeback? Must have been the hand of man, because left to God and nature they were bye bye...
I await the lawsuit by John Coleman flushing out the facts in court on this theory and putting algore back where he belongs, in retirement...

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Easy.

Yes the California Condor was a gooner til we (man) stepped in.
Maybe we are just trying to be good stewards.

I think we are just bystanders. Observers.

The Planet and what we call Nature is just doing it's thing.
We do not live long enough to know or observe what this Planet really does.

easymoney

Reaction score
Good points, but IMHO we are but a flea on the butt of the dog and all this sky is falling is a perfect example of the state of fear that the media and politicians love to spin in order to create this fear.
Yes, sometimes we as humans really do good things in spite of ourselves and benefit others more than our pocket book, but not very often...

chuckslayer

Reaction score
A lot of damage can also be done to our lives and the economy between now and when the global warming fiasco is finally proven to be just a political football.

chuam

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chuckslayer @ Mar 19 2008, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A lot of damage can also be done to our lives and the economy between now and when the global warming fiasco is finally proven to be just a political football.[/b]
So can a lot of good, cleaner air, cleaner water, alternative energy, weaning ourselves off the teat of the middle east, etc.

chuckslayer

Reaction score
So do it , Chaum !!

Is that a gas-guzzling 4wd..SUV I see in your picture ?

chuckslayer

Reaction score
Tmoniz;
I drive a Toyota Yaris for travel and a Ranger 4 cyl for hunting & business..both manual shift. But you should understand,
I am not the one that is crying that the sky is falling. I believe the Algore "global warming" deal is a hoax !
I drive those because that's what I prefer, not because I believe Algore for a single moment..
....even though he DID invent the internet..

Buck-eye

Reaction score
Man, this is though. Much as it is very hard to show a junkie that they are addicted to drugs, it is hard to tell any zealot that their cause has Grand Canyon like holes.
Last week, my kin in Ohio got hit with 2 feet of snow. Biggest snowfall in history. Yes, of course there are varying patterns in weather. 6 years ago when I lived in Ohio, we had snow on the ground on Halloween.
Let each side think as they may. It seems a bit naive to think that we are having that big an affect on our climate. This big pebble we are on has been evolving ever since its cosmic inception. The eruption of Mt Pinatubo in 1991 dropped the entire earth's temperature 1 degree. Did any of you rmember it? Neither did I until my son became fascinated with volcanoes.
Never once, have I been out hunting, taken a huge breath of air and wondered what the heck is wrong with this place? I am always thankful that the air is crisp, cleansing and that I was able to experience the beauty of nature. Just to hedge my bets as chaum suggested he will do, I will buy stock in whichever pharm company makes sunscreen.

masonjarlid

Reaction score
JMO One thing you hear neither side talking about are the Eatrh's orbital variations that bring the Earth closer to or farther away from the sun. There are also variations in the Earth's tilt on it's axis. Then there is the wobble that the Earth has. All of these account for the difference in weather and temp we see year to year. While I agree that we may be having an impact on some aspects I believe that when is comes to temps and seasons it mostly has to do with the three above mentioned variations.

Oribital Variations

easymoney

Reaction score
How funny the very folks that want higher taxes to pay for more boondoggles, are the same ones who object to walking, not turning on the light switch, not having refrigerated food, in fact not having any of the convieniences we all enjoy.
This is greatest nation on earth, has the most human and environmental rights yet is the hot bed for continual unrest and whing about everything that is considered a luxury and gift because of our technology and forward thinking.
Those who wish to live in cave, wear straw sandels and ride a donkey to work be my guest... Just don't dictate what the majority of us can do, and for crying out loud get some facts to back your theory...

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Chuck that Yaris is a great car.
One of my boys bought one. I'm amazed at how so many creature comforts for the price can be stuffed in that car.
And the gas mileage is unreal.

Al Gore jumped on the bandwagon. Just to bring attention to himself. He was bored with being out of the spotlight.

One thing I will say. Is if you drive thru Los Angeles and the San Bernardino Area in the Summer.
You can cut the air with a knife.
It's thick. You Can see it, taste it and smell it.

Have we had an impact?
Yep.

But hey. Lots of snow in the Sierras this year.

swampy tim

Reaction score
It's march 20th, first day of spring, and I still have 20 inches of hard glacier like ice covering my 10 acres. I can't even ride the new Artic cat snowmobile on in it because it won't turn on the stuff, just goes straight. Man caused global warming is a total myth. tmoniz, local air quality conditions are not the same as global warming, your air quallity issues in Ca are primarily due to the land scape: mountains to the east, ocean to the west, prevailing winds from the west push moist air into the coastal valleys, the temporature inversion holds the fog / moisture close to ground were it mixes with all the various pollutants, primaraly diesel exsauhst from heavy trucks, city and school buses and othe municipal vehiclals. My behavure did not cause that. But I do my part to help, I burn 6 to 7 cords of wood a year to heat my home, and that Co2 goes out and feeds other plants to make me more food and firewood. So the only impact I am having is a positive one. S/T

Top Bottom