Global Warming

waldo2382

Reaction score
Two days ago I finally saw a temp over 50 degrees (51) since last fall and yesterday had some snow and rain mix, now its all rain and blowing 30 knots with gusts to 40 here in Cordova. A few nights ago it was 28 outside. At least the snow is gone along the beach, but go up 500 feet and it is something different. Waiting for some weather to get those bears out and to go enjoy a nice day of fishing without ending the day soaking wet. At least the it starts get light at 430 am and dark at around 1045 pm which is nice.
Al Gore may have invented the internet, but he made up global warming. Summer is officially about a month and 10 days away, but you can hardly tell up here. Is winter still holding on somewhere right now besides Alaska?

Orygun

Reaction score
We've had rain and daily highs in the mid-50s last week. We'll bump up 30 degrees this week. But for the most part it's been 7-10 degrees colder this year in the Pacific NW.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Central Valley has been terrific this spring, except for lack of rain. Last month or more has been in the 70's or very low 80's.

However, before the week is over, the temps are supposed to reach 100!

YORT40

Reaction score
Global Warming has been re-named "Continent Warming". Soon to be National Warming, Then District Warming, Then County Warming, Then City Warming, finally Street Warming.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Yort. How's the weather up your way.
Very cloudy and cool down here.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
There's a local Meteorologist down here that founded the Weather Channel.
He says it's just a cycle.

DanV

Reaction score
Supposed to be in the 100's by Wednesday for awhile , DAMN , wish it was winter again !

MULEY51

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tmoniz @ May 12 2008, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There's a local Meteorologist down here that founded the Weather Channel.
He says it's just a cycle.[/b]
Yep, and I agree with him.

Is the planet warming? I tend to believe it is. However, I also believe it IS a natural cycle. JMHO

CC Lefty

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Common Sense @ May 12 2008, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Central Valley has been terrific this spring, except for lack of rain. Last month or more has been in the 70's or very low 80's.

However, before the week is over, the temps are supposed to reach 100![/b]
Agreed, although I might add that spring sprung sometime in mid February. Most of my spring vegitables went to seed well before I could harvest any quality produce. Oh well, I much prefer tomatoes anyway...

rcrosby

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CC Lefty @ May 12 2008, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Most of my spring vegitables went to seed well before I could harvest any quality produce. Oh well, I much prefer tomatoes anyway...[/b]
You can have some of mine lefty. I got a ton of peas still, more radishes than I could possibly eat with my carne asada tacos, carrots and beets coming up every day. Plus lettuce that grows like weeds. I had to rip out my arrugula today though, first to bite the dust. What kind of tomatoes? I grew Aunt Rubys German Green, Box Car Willie, Brandywine Red, Kellogs Breakfast and a couple of cherry tomatoes.

CC Lefty

Reaction score
Okay Crosby, you're either calling my bluff or questioning my "green thumb," or lack there of. Either way, I feel I must defend my good name.

The first set of spring vegetables planted in December went gangbusters. Much success with butter leaf lettuce, both red and green romaine as well as a crunch leaf trio. Big hearty baby Romeo carrots, green onions (silver and red) with bases the diameter of nickels; radishes, yes like weeds. I put together a spring garden platter for Easter that blew the family away... as did the seared Thai mallard breasts. But, that was March. I rotated my crops and amended the soil with organic compost as usual and went for a second round. Over the past few years I've been able to squeeze two spring sets in before the warm weather was here to stay.

Second round; radishes, yes like weeds. Carrots a bit smaller, less tender and more "soapy", all effects of warmer days. Green onions more spindly and I noticed last evening that one is trying to put out a seed head, effects of warmer days. My lack of peas, although I've had some, might be my fault as I placed them in a much warmer part of the yard right against the southern wall of my house. The lettuce suffered mightily at the hands of aphids. They've survived, but are also beginning to go for height - both effects of warmer days.

Tomatoes - a highbred beefsteak varietal, zebra stripes, early girls, and better boys. All are lush and green between 2 3 feet tall and setting fruit - again effects of warmer weather. Although I stand by my assertion of having a much earlier spring this year, I don't believe that it falls outside the bounds of normal variance.

Finally, before I get pigeon holed, as usual, let me say my piece about global warming. I'm in the "global warming as a natural process" camp. I've walked the glaciers of Jasper National Park and there is no doubt that our globe is in a warming trend. Never the less, glacial recession pre-dates global industrialization by a long shot, a fact that few "Greenies" care to acknowledge. Additionally, I am as confident that we contribute, in part, to global warming as I am confident that our efforts to stop global warming will have little effect on the overall warming trend.

Thanks for the offer on the vegetable. I'd take you up on it although the Mirical-Gro, DDT, Malathion, chlorpyrifos residue that would inevitably seep from my skin would likely short circuit my Prius.

(ps. As I re-read this I was beginning to wonder if Jesse might redirect this post to the "Martha Stewart forum...")

rcrosby

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CC Lefty @ May 12 2008, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks for the offer on the vegetable. I'd take you up on it although the Mirical-Gro, DDT, Malathion, chlorpyrifos residue that would inevitably seep from my skin would likely short circuit my Prius.
[/b]
Not from my vegies CC, that is one area I am green. I love watching my daughters eat peas right off the vine or lettuce right from the garden. Yesterday for mothers day we had a huge bowl of red romaine with green onion chives, beets and some broccoli sprouts and I told my family I will guarantee that is the first bowl of lettuce they have eaten that wasn't poisoned or urinated on in probably ever. I knock out the Aphids with Neem and soap all natural stuff.

Sounds like you had some good harvest. I am lucky in that I have some shade in my back yard so I can find some cooler areas. My in ground peas and carrots are living on borrowed time. I have raised beds and self watering containers and they are holding up.

Atwater

Purt near but not plumb
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Is winter still holding on somewhere right now besides Alaska?[/b]
We haven't had enough heat around here to make the strawberries sweeten, and the early plums are bound to come off bitter. I'm burning as much gas as I can to help with the process, but it takes more than one man's effort to make a difference. Ever since the ozone layer healed itself, the planets gone to hell. Damn cycles...

Drayton

Reaction score
Last few days it's been in the mid 90's down here in Southeast Florida.

Add smoke from brush fires and thick humidity...

CC Lefty

Reaction score
We haven't had enough heat around here to make the strawberries sweeten[/b]
... I've rarely found strawberries sweet enough for my liking. That's why I've always covered them in sugar (2:1 ratio, a little lemon juice, a little certo) and stuffed them in jars... which reminds me. I think I promised you a jar or two. I try and drop some by this weekend.

Atwater

Purt near but not plumb
Reaction score
I think I promised you a jar or two. I try and drop some by this weekend.[/b]
Actually, Kim and Kristen just made up a big batch, so we're good to go...just had some for breakfast, mmmmm good stuff! (I do have some fine micro brews from Oregon just taking up space though, so come on by anyway!)

rcrosby

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Atwater @ May 13 2008, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
(I do have some fine micro brews from Oregon just taking up space though, so come on by anyway!)[/b]
Stay the hell away CC, Atwater already promised me those beers this weekend. I am going to try and help you out Scott. My truck gets about 12/gallon if I drive a little fast so we ought to have a good carbon footprint for this weekend after trolling around all day. Knowing Scotty he will be passed out in the parking lot with the car running by about 10am Maybe I will buy some credits in McCains "free market" solution to offset it.

Orygun

Reaction score
... I've rarely found strawberries sweet enough for my liking. T[/b]
You've been taken in by Big Strawberry. The market has gone way way astray in strawberries. Berries are grown for size, then color, then flavor. Since they ship all over a fresh ripe berry won't last in transit. I worked in Monterey county and dealt with growers in the center of the strawberry universe. I thought I knew from good berries.

That changed when I moved to Oregon. The berry varieties are smaller,darker, and much, much sweeter. I you do any mail ordering or can get your local nursery to do it, ask for Hood or better yet, Bentons. They should grow ok down your way. They do not last vary long. But a ripe Benton is strawberry perfection. Imagine taking a nice red CA berry and injecting it with strawberry flavored syrup. They are that good naturally.

There are great regional varieties for most of the country. Roadside stands are good places go get great fruit. If the stand is run by the grower, ask if you can get some of his "worn out" plants when he decides to replant the field. They may not produce much, but you can get them to send runners. The runners will get you some nice berries. Roadside stands also tend to have better riper berries. So do the U-pick places and the hippy dippy stalls at t he farmer's markets. Point is, you get a proper berries and you can chuck the sugar.

upperEA

Reaction score
I sure wish this warming thing would hit the UP of Michgan. It is lucky to hit the 50s here. Our normal temps are in the area of 65. Oh well it is good wood cutting weather anyways. But they are calling for 40s and rain for the opener of Walleye Thrusday.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom