• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Glock 21 for hunting?

popskellar

So I've seen videos on youtube of people hunting with pistols and I have a 45 acp Glock 21. Just wondering if anyone on here has used a Glock to hunt. If so what did you hunt and how did it go?

freezer

45 acp is not a good hunting round. A better choice would be a Glock 19 in 10 auto. The 10 auto has the same knock down power as the 41 mag.

popskellar

I was thinking about the 10mm but this gun is really for the home. I was just seeing if it is something I could use for hunting as well. I guess it depends a lot on distance placement and my ability.

freezer

A Glock 19 in 10 auto will fill both nietchs. Just buy home defense rounds for the home front and hunting loads for hunting. Home defense loads are basiclly flying ash trays designed for tin skin humans.They won't over penatrate or pass through a bunch of walls. The down side to a 10 auto is ammo is not as common as the 9mm, 45acp, or 40 smith. It is a far more verstile round. All that said a revolver is a better home defense piece because it doesn't have springs under constant pressure. This will include the mgazine spring. Folks need to check their autos regularly when they keep an auto for home defense. Once again bullet selection is critical. It doesn't matter if it's a 44 or 357 mag. The wrong bullet design wil lead to disaster.
Once agan the 44 mag is far more versitle. You can get everything from light home defense rounds, light target loads or full bore hunting loads for a grizzly.

It's nice to have a gun to fill every nietch but when you can only afford one don't skimp on quailty or versitility.

Last edited:

popskellar

I understand the 10mm would be better the 45 and a magnum revolver better still. I'm not looking to buy a new gun right now though. The 45 is one that I have had and was just thinking if it could be used to hunt with. Doesn't look like I'll be using it to hunt with though.

iforge03

glock 20 in 10mm is about as versatile as a handgun can get. i had to shoot some scumbag that broke into my home and wouldnt leave. one shot with the trusty old 10mm put him down fast. devastatingly perfect for home defense, and from what i hear, pretty effective as a hunting tool. i personally wouldnt consider a .45acp for hunting

sancho

hunting what?

i have a G21 as well..i wouldnt say i was proficient enough to hunt with it. i'm a decent shot too..

ktalgsto

popskellar don't despair your , I too own a glock 21sf in 45 acp and I know this is an old thread and maybe by now you do know you can buy diff barrels for your glock , the glock 21sf can with a barrel change shoot several diff rounds I think its like 10 diff calibers , but if you going to buy any barrel get the one from 460rolawnd.com you can shoot the 45 acp , 45 super and the 460 Rowland which is equivalent to a 44 magnum .

mischief209

I have the glock 30 that I use as my side arm. I use Buffalo bore bullets that are designed for bear,pig, etc and are super .45 rounds. I went with the glock 30 because for 160 bucks you buy the 10mm conversion barrel. I haven't bought it yet because I was impressed with the Buffalo bore rounds in 45. I did finish a pig off with it and worked great but at same time I was 10 feet away and the pig was pretty still, first shot with rifle to spine.

Last edited:

Where's Bruce?

Just because he shot at him doesn't mean he was hitting him!
Turn your volume up, you can hear the impacts. HPs make a solid thud. When I first saw the video it was part of a thread that showed the holes everywhere on the pig and people were joking, calling it the Swiss Pig and saying it died of lead poisioning. LOL

Last edited:

Top Bottom