Glue,Caulk, silicone?

cgchris99

Reaction score
What should I use to glue the Lens covers for the flash, lens, and also for gluing the fresnel lens?

Oh, and where to buy it?

Thanks

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
I USED WELDERS LENS' THAT I BOUGHT AT LOWE'S HARDWARE.  IT COMES IN A 3 PACK.  I USED GOOP GLUE THAT I BOUGHT AT WALMART TO GLUE THE LENS TO THE HOUSING AND PUT RTV SILICONE AROUND THE LENS TO WATERPROOF IT.  THE SILICONE WAS IN THE AUTOMOTIVE/HARDWARE SECTION OF A LOCAL HARDWARE STORE.

Strutter

Reaction score
I use hot melt from a little glue gun.  No leaks, no runs, no splatters.  It doesn't smear onto the glass and if it does it peels right off after cooling.  Also use it around fresnal lense on front of box.  So far, no water at all in box.  It peels off real easy if you have to rework something.

Strutter

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
I recommend that if you do use an RTV sealer for use inside the camera housing, use one that contains no acetic acid.  I am an electronics engineer for an ATM manufacturer and we found out the hard way that  acetic acid can and will "outgas" and react with copper and electronic circuits.  We had to replace a number of electronic boards in the field because the outgasing was eating into some of the .008" copper traces on our circuit boards.  

Welby

Reaction score
Permatex Black Silicone.  It is found in the automotive section of Walmart or in auto supply stores.  This silicone product is actually used for making gaskets, so it is very tough, is chemical resistant and is extremely adhesive, much more so than regular RTV silicone.

Most adhesives will not adhere well to things like slick plastic (an MS20 housing, for example) or smooth surfaces like glass.  However, the Permatex I have used so far actually adhered so well to the components of my camera, that when I tried to take it apart for some modifications, I had to cut the Permatex off and NEVER was able to remove it completely from the parts to which it was applied.  

I used the regular RTV silicone the first time I assembled my camera, but though it provided great adhesion initially, it came loose in one piece after I began to pull it off my camera components (with relatively small effort ).  Goop did the same thing when I used it as well.

I personally don't recommend using hot melt glue for much of anything camera related for the main reason that the camera is an outside use object.  Hot melt glue does not stand up well to the elements, especially the cold.  When it turns cold, hot melt glue turns loose.  It's as simple as that.  It looses almost all of it's adhesion properties in the cold when it is used on metal, plastic, or glass.  Also, if used on wood, even slight dampness will make it turn loose as well.

From my experience, I have to recommend the Permatex though.  I like it very much for its strength of bond.  However, it is also for that same reason that I hesitate to use it on components that I fear may require modifications down the road.  It's like pulling teeth out of a dog to get it loose then.  If you want a permanent bond, use Permanex.

A few other things that I suggest to use for sealing and bonding include the marine epoxy sticks, Dap window caulking (as per Tinhorn's experience) and.....gulp!....Bondo body filler.  If you've ever used that stuff, then you know what I'm talking about.

On a last note, I saw a tube of something called Welder on my last trip to the epoxy aisle of Walmart.  According to its label, it will bond anything.  Anyone used this?

My two cents worth...

Brotherwolf

Reaction score
I went to the hardware store and picked up a tube of clear household adhesive, it stinks pretty bad but that wore off in no time. It's held up quite well.

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

i am with Welby on the Permatex black silicone found in the auto parts stores.
it is one of the best i have ever used and WILL hold when it counts.
the part number for it is found on the package which is silicon negro # 16 B

another one of the best glues out there for a tenacious glue bond is the 3 M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive glue which is either black or yellow.

this stuff is the best i have found to first initially glue the fresnal lens to the inside of your enclosure(rough up the surface to be glued as this helps a lot to get a good bond to the slick plastic ) then later go back around the edges with the Permatex silicone to make a definate watertight bond.

the part number for the black is #08008 which is a 5 oz tube and can also be found around the auto parts stores.

just hope you don't have to tear back into it after using either glue as you WILL have a hard time getting it back apart....hehehe

Later,

Welby

Reaction score
UH OH!!!!!  I made a mistake...sorry.  Gun Docc has described the CORRECT Permatex....I did not though.

The black Permatex that I use IS N0T the gasket maker Permatex - that is made of RTV Silicone.  The black Permatex that I use and harp the virtues of is the Permatex Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant.  It has a model number (?) of 16B or 16BR.

I do not and have not used the Permatex Black Gasket Maker silicone.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom