GMRS radios

SF

Reaction score
I am looking for any info on purchasing a good quality GMRS handheld.
Some of the traits I am looking for are as such:
*3 plus mile range (4watts and up)
*water resistent
*can handle FRS/GMRS
*compact
*NOAA weather stations
*price range $75-$160 ea.
So far the closest ones I have come across are the uniden GMRS480, ICOM IC-F21GM
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

foulshot

Reaction score
SF, first off welcome to Jesses!  One of the best spots on the net, IMHO!

If you look back on some of the past threads there are some discussions about the FRS/GMRS units.  Personally I have the motorola t6400.  There was a rebate on it so the price was $40.  I haven't had the time to put it through the paces yet.  At dove opener it will get some testing!  Hope this helps.

SF

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.  Also I was told about the Motorola T7200.  Does anyone have any info. on this unit?

HOGHUNTER714

Reaction score
SF,

Welcome to the Best Hunting site on the net. As far as radios go. I have used a few different types of GMRS radios. I currently have the Audiovox 1525. Its compact and very clear. The other thing I like about this radio is its rechargeable, but after the rechargeable batteries die I can throw 4 aaa's in them and they will power up. That feature makes it nice when you way back in the high country. Good Luck..

vermonsta

Reaction score
Been looking also audiovox has a 3 watt unit gmrs7000 but not sure of features $70 @ sportsmansguide and sold at best buy and bj's wholesale . I would like a high wattage unit without the beeping noises and preferably vibra lert feature. The icom icf21gm puts out up to 4 watts but is a large unit and is $190 each. Also checking out a cobra pr950dx for 59.99 each w/charger. Another concern is battery usage , I use nicads when possible but there are some units out there that just drain the heck out of batterys . On the frs type some motorolas cost you more on batterys than to buy it and some othere brands seem to last a lot longer.What's your experiences?

JBarn3

Reaction score
Have a Costco near you?

I bought a pair of Cobra MicroTalk 1050 WX GMRS radios with NOAA Hazard Alert, 8-Point digital compass, VibrAlert silent paging, water resisitant, digital clock, stop watch, VOX hands free, selectable high/low power and 22 channels with 38 subchannels each (all FRS and GMRS channels).

They ran me $100 for the pair including NiMH batteries and a dual desk charger.

Advertised range on them is 5 miles.

Top Bottom