Goat down

muskeg

Reaction score
We flew Jeff (a trad bowhunter from the Osarks) and guide Bobby out to Goat camp on Fri. The weather was very warm with lots of visibility. You could see forever as we were able to go up accross the mts. The warm summer has the snow fields and patches on the melt. Didn't spot many Goats on the way in as it was mid afternoon and warm and they were hunkered down in the brush, cracks and crannies.

Bobby and Jeff made it up to the lower camp and set up by dark (fri evening), as the days are still pretty long. They headed up to the mt top yesterday morning. The Goats were out as it was windy and they were up getting out of the bugs, which Bobby said was not that bad. Yesterday was another steller weather day in this long hot summer. One of the driest and warmest summers in history.

There plan was to see where the Goats were, make a plan and then go back up with a bivi-spike camp. As the day progressed they spotted over 15 Goats, close in. At least half were Billies. They worked there way around the top. In late afternoon they spotted a nice Billy climb out of the brush and paw at the dirt bed. He then laid down for a nap. The stalk was on.

It took awhile to get down off the back side and into position. Jeff made the final stalk and was able to get the 10 yard shot off. A good solid pass through hit.

The Goat streaked down the ravine.

After several hours of blood trailing, they found the Billy. Now way down off the 'back side'.

They did not have time to skin and pack it out as twilight was setting in and they were about 2 to 3 hours out from camp, with no load. The ground is steep and dangerious in daylight and Bobby decided not to try it by headlamp, with a load. They tagged and gutted the Goat. Moved it away from the gut pile, covered it and left some smelly clothing on it.

There plan is to go back early this morning and finish the job. It will take most of the long day to get it back to camp. With luck they will be packed out (to the lake) and ready to fly by tomorrow evening.

Then after a night in Ketchikan we will head over to the Prince of Wales cabin for some mor fun in the sun, Blacktail hunting and fishing.

In my years of Goat guiding we have only had one hunter (rifle) take a Goat on the first day up.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
I used to live in the Panhandle. Whereabouts is your guide camp. I used to hunt the Eastern Pass a place called Aaron Creek I believe east of Wrangell. And Thomas Bay near Petersburg. Probably the toughest hunting I've ever done.

muskeg

Reaction score
My hunt area is down in the southern part of the Misty Fjords. This hunt was in the Boca-de-Quadra area.

Tmoniz your right about hard hunting. Mt Goat around here has to one of the toughest hunts there is.

I have hunted Bear up at Arrons years ago while guiding for Mark Galla out of Wrangell.

We are headed over to Prince of Wales Island on the afternoon ferry to finish the hunt up on Sitka Blacktail.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom