Goat Spring. Harold Horner. High Desert Guide Service

rlwright

Reaction score
Planning on going to goat spring to chase chukar saturday (19th). Has anyone been there recently?

rlwright

Reaction score
Jumped 5 on the backside of the big mountian and got 3. For the second half of the day I went over to Aztec spring. To my disapointment the access road that goes up the canyon was posted and gated off. To my understanding the whole area is BLM. I've hunted that area for the last 6 or 7 years and it's always been open. Does anyone know what the story is with that?

docramo

Reaction score
Pretty disappointing to find an area closed with posts + no tresspassing signs . The signs were placed by a local chukar guide out of Victorville ...according to him the land is privately owned by the local cattle rancher. The BLM maps should be checked or the county records to see if in fact it is private. If you contact me I can relay the guides name + phone #.

rlwright

Reaction score
docramo, I'll send you an E-mail. About three years ago I was exploring through the area and ran into the cattle rancher. He was a nice guy and told me I should hunt there because it doesn't get hit as hard as goat spring. I'm going to call the BLM office in Barstow to make sure, but I'm pretty sure the rancher leases the land.

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Chukar are Satan's minions dressed in feathers.

Regards,
Paul

songdog

Reaction score
Hogskin has obviously hunted these critters before...

He left out the fact that they're loaded with nicotine which explains the addictiveness...

foulshot

Reaction score
I had to laugh when I read Hogskins reply. They say you hunt them the first time for fun, from the second time on out its all revenge!!!!

Is the last thing you want to do on closing weekend get frustrated by these birds. You will have to wait all summer before you can get even. Maybe I'll head up there to.

Sky Buster

Reaction score
theyre smart little bastards too. notice that they always seem to go for the thickest, nastiest, rockiest, steepest places, just to screw with you... cause when you finally get up to where they are(bruised and bloodied), those SOB's are already on the hill across from you..i'll happy if i end up with 1 when the day is over.

Rimrock

Reaction score
You are all right about these birds. They have skunked me more than once but one day stands out as clear as a bow killed elk. I was hunting a half GSP and half Lab, in Idaho. The GSP half half pointed and a huge covey of birds started getting up a few birds at a time. I had time to reload and dropped five on the covey rise. The Lab half made five flawless retrieves. Unfortunatly, my wife was the only witness and her integrity has been questioned on the rare occasion she has verified this story.

Play fair.

OC hunter

Reaction score
You only find Chukar in two places. At the top of the steepest mountain and where you are most likely to put your gun down.

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Nice try, Kid Creole, but those aren't chukar. They may look like chukar, but they're not chukar. O.k., maybe they're chukar but they're obviously sick. And you're sick too for posting such a picture. Do you realize the damage you've done and the pain you will have caused with those pictures? How many guys now think that they can just go out and have a pleasant day chukar hunting? You should be ashamed.

:far-side-guy-yellin:

Regards,
Paul

Fubar

Reaction score
I used to hunt on China Lake Naval Base and there were Chukar everywhere. There were so many we used to stand and pass shoot em like doves. There is no hunting there now and you can find Chukar on the grass lawns around the Base. I think the Chukar on top of the lava mountains are there trying to get away from hunters.

I wish the Base Commander would open China Lake to hunting again.

Fubar

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Kid Creole,

There's actually smoke coming out of my ears right now.

Seriously, those are some great pictures.

Regards,
Paul

p.s., I clicked through some of the other pictures and they're very cool.

T F Coyote

Reaction score
Kid Creole,

You've obviously found yourself a real sweet-spot. Without giving up any secrets, could you tell me approximately where it is, and was this land public or private ?

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Guys these pics were taken right next to th city of Randsburg, no secret spot at all. These pics were taken the day before the season opened this year, most of the pics were taken from my truck. The next day they were as spooky as if they had been hunted all year.

JohnsIslandBoy

Reaction score
Those are great pictures.  Thanks for the info.  Never done much bird hunting other than a lil dove and quail.  

Top Bottom