Going frog gigging Next weekend

OPAH

Reaction score
I target bull frogs they are the biggest and IMO the best eating. Dan is right about it being to early, the best time to go is a warm windless night in the summer when the bugs are swarming around your headlight.
Also, just in case you didn't know, some frogs are protected.
As far as recipes go...
Clean and mostly dry legs, salt and pepper to taste, dredge in flour, then egg, then flour then egg, fry in oil until golden brown and meat easilly pulls from the bone. (make sure the legs aren't really cold when you start)
Good luck.
So sorry Bankrunner, very good info and it is appreciated, figured on thanking all before Friday and Monday when I came Back with the results. But yes thank you all, I think I am going to soak in Coors for about an hour pat dry, inject legs with Creole Butter sauce !!!!!
Bread with Ritz crackers and some king of seasoning not sure yet and Pan Fry.

Now I get wind free nights, bugs swarming your head lamp, warm summer night, but that is the purfect time to hunt true? a Bull frog is the same in winter as it is in summer no scent glagular issues or such correct?

And yes the rio toad and yellow legged Frog have claimed large ares in D15, But I am sure thess frogs are just that run of the mill frogs Hopefully Big Bull Frogs

Last edited:

MariotheBarber

Reaction score
Can't beat frog legs while watching Hell Comes To Frogtown, gotta love the old B-movies

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Considering the season (winter), I don't think you have any but will still wish you good luck. Watch out for the spring peepers, if you do you'll still never see em.

OPAH

Reaction score
Basically I heard that if the are crocking the are out and about, (no crocking no gigging) do the Bull frogs hybernate?

Farallon

Reaction score
My favorite way to eat them is frog spaghetti. make a homemade tomato gravy and salute the frog legs in garlic butter. add the frog legs to the gravy and serve over angel hair.....
I have eaten something similar with doves.

OPAH

Reaction score
2 hours and I am on my way, looks like the Frogs may not be out if all is correct, very cold nights where we are going so they may just have burrowed them selves in for the winter. But if all gigging fails I have two racks of ribs and pomagranate margaritas. will have the Hunter Extreme and Whisper Cat with me so if a Jack pops it head up we may add some frying rabbit to the menu.
Thank you guys for all the info and chat, hopefully i have some pics come Monday
jhill528 have not found that Creole Butter sauce anywhere? is there a store you know that carrys it?

Last edited:

OPAH

Reaction score
Cool I'll have to pic some up before spring, No croacking at all, No gigging, but had some super good Ribs instead

jhill528

Reaction score
Sorry to hear no frogs, I usually don't go out until I can wade around in Board shorts. The Creole Butter I found at Vons. It is in a yellow labeled bottle and comes with an injector needle as well. Usually find them around the seasonings or near the frozen turkeys as well.

OPAH

Reaction score
Cool thank you! any time out there for me is a great time, so now its time to try to learn the quail calls, got a year so come Season I should be one of the covey.

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Here's a couple more tips you'd learn after going out a few times.
Be very quiet, walk slowly and softly, both on land or in the water. They will dive or jump if you don't.
And always keep your sack closed tightly because even when you think they are dead you'll loose some.

OPAH

Reaction score
Cool thank you much appreciated, now the brighter the better with the light?

Captjgray

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the Santa Ana river and Colorado River.

As far as mushrooms go you are smart to say they are scary. I wouldn't turn info on to anyone who didn't already know what to look for. And if you know what to look for you would jump all over it. People hold their spots close.

It is a great year for Chantrelles and Shaggy Manes!!!

Captjgray

Reaction score
When I have been foregone in Louisiana we have used head lamps and don't gig them but grab them by hand behind the head on the saddle. If you spot one with the light from your head lamp you just slightly nod your head and it puts them in a trance.

Top Bottom