Going squirrel hunting for the first time this weekend

andrew

Reaction score
I am going squirrel hunting for the first time this weekend and am taking my 12gauge single-shot(dont have a decent .22).

What do I need as far as loads(shells), license(no tags?), field cleaning equipment, etc.? I think its only 4 tree squirrels per person, right?.

p.s.-are the tree squirrels even out this time of year? I am going to the snow country for them.

Fubar

Reaction score
andrew I used to hunt squirrels with # 6 shot. I havnt hunted them for a long time. The limit is four a day and four in possession. You cant hunt tree squirrels in Inyo, Mono, Los Angeles,  Santa Barbara, Ventura, Orange, Riverside, San Diego, or Imperial counties.                 Fubar

rlwright

Reaction score
If you can get close enough a decent pellet gun will work. I got about 20 squirrels with my .177 benjamin in the 3 years I lived at my past house. The range was the distance between 2 telephone poles.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I haven't had the time to hunt tree squirrels for a few years, but I used either .22 or #4 shot.  I'm sure #6 is plenty good enough.  The big greys I hunted in the western southern sierras were very tough to take down.  If not hit with enough power, they can hang-up on a high branch, and not fall down.  I would not hunt them with any shot smaller than #6.

Swiss Lad

Reaction score
The 1 1/4oz #6 shot I used this last weekend worked well on the 2 I shot in Sequoia National.  They are tough and you need to be reasonable about distances.  Longest shot was 30yds.

russ

Reaction score
I love to hunt tree rats,#5when I can find them.#6 works well too anything else I wouldn't recomend.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom