Going this weekend

raypung

Reaction score
First of all I have to thank everyone on these message board for being so imformative and be willing to share all of this information. I purchased some topo maps from the BLM as well as some forestry maps and my buddies and I have our sites set out on the Ventana wilderness. Wish us luck and maybe by accident we might stumble upon a hog. It seems like we have a better chance of catchin poison oak then getting a hog but it will be nice to get out and hike around. I am sure when we get back I will have tons of questions and pictures. If you guys know any good spots to check out let me know we are leaving on Friday morning. Thanks for everything!!!

rnjwildhoghunts

Reaction score
I don't know that area, but I would say hunt first and last light and stay close to any water holes with hog sign, Good Luck

easymoney

Reaction score
The bulk of the "good" areas are very well known, and they also get lots of attention. The pigs are nocturnal and transitory on public land no matter where it is. The bulk of these "good" spots are in the DFG and BLM booklets and maps. The Ventana Wilderness is very big, very steep, very brushy, loads of poison oak, hot and dry during deer season and not all areas have pigs.
The most popular spots are mainly from the eastern side, coming up the Carmel Valley RD or Arroyo Seco Rd. Botchers Gap, Chews Ridge, etc.
Any public spot can have pigs at any time, yet again maybe not...
I would wait till you can hunt FHL or Camp Bob first if you have your mind set on public land hunting for pigs. The bases are closed for most of the year and the animals get a break from the constant pressure.
IMHO, if it were me and I was just getting started I would contact deedy at bryson resort (or any of the other eputable guides mentioned here)about a guided hunt to learn the ropes of pig hunting. Their pay and future is based on successful hunts and they know how to produce...
Good luck

BrysonHesperiaResort

Reaction score
Thanks Easy$ for the kind words about my outfit (again). You rock!

Raypung- I think we e-mailed each other, but the offer still stands... if you want any advice about the forest up here by Bryson Resort stop by if you get a chance. We scoured it the other day with the dogs! They didn't come up with very much.

raypung

Reaction score
I dont think we e-mailed each other but I am very interested in coming down this weekend. I called and left a message at the resort but I have not heard back yet if you could email me at raypung@gmail.com it would be much appreciated!

Top Bottom