Golden Trout

rlwright

Reaction score
Wheres the best place to backpack in and catch golden trout?

Thonzberry

Reaction score
There is a place up around the Tioga Pass, I think it's called Wolf creek. I'm thinking of going sometime this year, not sure but they have trails you hike in on and have goldens up there. When I get some more info I'll post it .

docramo

Reaction score
If you have a 4whl drive you might try Laurel Lake outside of Mammoth.
It's about 10 mile drive into great country . Does get pressure but if you get close and hike the rest before the vehicles can get there you may catch and release some goldens. Awesome fish to see!

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
What about the Golden Trout Wilderness northeast of Lake Isabella. rlwright if you have a fax number I'll send you a copy of the info sheet I have from the Forest Service.

rlwright

Reaction score
I looked up Mt. Whitney on http://www.gorp.com/index.adp Unbelivable, you have to pull a permit to get on the trail half a year in advance and it's one of the most heavily traveled trails in the west.

Karstic, I don't have a fax machine, just email: rlwright@csupomona.edu , thanks anyways

Docramo, Thonzberry, Thanks for the info., I'll go over some maps and check those places out also.

sportyg

Reaction score
I both hunt & fish the Golden State Trout Wilderness.. For the best fishing you need a 4X4.. If you don't have one try Kenndy Medows...

Bigolwiggler

Reaction score
Hey RL,

As a kid I used to go with my dad and do fish counts for Goldens Up on the Kern Plateau.    We went to a place called Salmon Creek.  This is the region where the the Golden trout originated Im told . They have been planted over the past few decades to other areas.    My Father was a DFG biologist.  We would "shock the streams and do counts.    
When I fished this creek , it was barbless fly only fishing.   They arent real big .  A 10 incher is a pretty good one.    Prettiest fish alive in my book .   We fished an area near Horse Meadow  .  This area is accessed by getting to Lake Isabella, Going Thru Kernville,traveling up river past   Roads end resort / Johnny Mcnalleys ( They serve a mean steak dinner !!  )

Just upriver from here after the one lane bridge  , is a right hand turn that goes to Horse Meadow.   Beautiful country once you get up high.

Hope this helps.

Brett  

sportyg

Reaction score
Hey Brett,

Horse Meadow is nice but the last few years a lot of people have been going up there. Brett, is right about johnny Mcnalleys they serve a great steak & lobster dinner..

T F Coyote

Reaction score
I know this thread is old, but I just found it.

The Cottonwood Lakes in the Sierras, just north of Horseshoe Meadow and south of Mt. Whitney, is an awesome place for goldens.  

Of the five lakes, four are catch-and-release only.  There are some 12+ inchers in there, which is big for goldens.

Lake #3, where I've camped, is at 11,000 feet, so give yourself some time to acclimate.

hronk

Reaction score
Treasure Lakes are a group of 6 lakes that are about a 3mile hike frome South Lake.  The creek that leaves these lakes are one of the 3 main creeks that feed South lake.  All 6 including the creek down to about 200yds above South Lake contain Goldens.  The fish in the lower 2 lakes seem to be crossed with Rainbows.  They don't have the color of most Goldens.  I have actually caught 2 Goldens during high run-off years right at the entrance of South Lake where Treasure Cr.  feeds into South.....hronk

1SoCalHunter

Reaction score
The place that Hronk mentions is good, I have been there hunting and fishing, it's a long hike but it's well worth it every step of the way, not just for the fishing, but for the sight seen as well.  All of those lakes around there are good including Long Lake.  I had an experience 3 years when I was drawn for X9B and I hunted the area, I had the deer tag for X9B and a bear tag as well, but as you may know, in that area the bear season opens after the deer season closes (this year has changed to open at the same time that deer opens), well, as I was sitting on top of a ridge glassing down I started to hear some stumping and heavy crushing, in about 15 to 20 seconds I saw a bear that could not weigh less than 500 lbs. and not measure less than 6 or 7 feet long, when I first saw it he was about 80 yards away and started to climb up the ridge towards where I was until he was about 20 yards away from me and I was getting ready to shoot a round on the ground to scare him off, but then he made a left turn and slowly started to get lost in the woods, this was the closest time that I have had a bear, a loaded rifle and a tag and NOT been able to harvested, as a consecuence of that I ended up pulling my hair :mad-fumin-red::mad-fumin-red:

Top Bottom