Gonna start!....which camera?

u turned em

Reaction score
O-K gentlemen.....I'm going to take on this project and build a trail camera.  I don't have a whole lot of time to sit at the computer and read a zillion past post, 'cause I need to get busy!  I have looked over the instructions and some of the recent post, and it appears to be indicated that the "suggested" Owl camera may be hard to find or an old version. So...what's the bottom line?  Please tell me what cameras that are currently on the market can be and have been modified per the instructions or very close to them?  I would like to have brand names and model numbers....standard 35mm only.....I'm not about to leave a high dollar digital camera out in the woods so "Bubba" can tote it off to the pawn shop!  I can figure out the rest....with y'alls help of course!  I just don't want to spend a whole lot of time seaching for the Owl camera if it is not available.  This is my first post, and I certainly will appreciate all the responses and comments that you send.

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
uturn, welcome to the forum. ****** has all the stuff you need and is very reliable. I use the RS sensor cause for me it seemed simpler. The MS-20 is great also. The Owl PF is the camera of choice I believe. Good luck on your firt one. MC.

wapiti

Reaction score
I see the  Owl pf date cameras in K-marts here in KY fairly regularly, the Radio Shacks still have the 49-425 sensor as well.  Those are the choices for me.

SouthernStyle

Reaction score
Welcome to the board!

Here is a link to ****** site that MCinILL mentioned above:
******' Site

Good luck, I'm just starting my first one as well!

Scott

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Beware, they are adictive. Probibly ought to buy 3 cameras at least, and PIR's, and housings, and.............................................

thehairlessone

Reaction score
just my opinion, but the older owls's like the af, the round switch seemed much easier to wire to me with the pins they have than the pf.

rick

shadow

Reaction score
I wired 5 of the older owl af date's with the slide switch and it was very easy...I found all of them on ebay for $18 to $26.  I think I'll spend the extra money next time and go with the PF for the flash distance.  Thinking about a digital next time to.  Folks here have been playing with the Olympus digital d370/380 model and have reports of getting them for about $98.

u turned em

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the advice.  I found and bought the Owl PF today for just $39,..... so I hope to get started tomorrow.

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Maybe it won't matter to you, but did you make sure that the owl pf is the "date" version, and not the "non-date" version.  I know I sent my buddy out to buy a camera for his first home-brew, and he went to the "Ritz" camera shop, he came home with a non-date version for 39.00, he had to take it back, he is going to order one from ******.com.  Good luck to you.

u turned em

Reaction score
Bob,

Looks like your buddy and I have something in common!  Yep......you are right....I just checked and mine is the non-date version....darn it!  I guess that I'll have to keep looking.  Thanks.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Take it back and order one from ******.  You won't beat the price.   Sears carries the PF too. but 49.95

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Pull the cam, and check the screen. My last group had 116 pics. Knew I had screwed up and hadn't set the timer.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom