Gonna try Deer hunting

hifi55

Reaction score
This will be my first attempt at deer.... I've got an AO and D3-5 tag on the way.

Was thinking of hitting up the B zones or D6 the week of the archery opener. Probably D6 since its closer to me (socal) but I understand the B zones have more deer if I can pony up for the extra gas.

Unfortunately this means going in blind with no pre-hunt scouting. I'm not banking on getting a buck, just hope to learn a thing or two and maybe even see some deer. I understand they'll be in velvet, avoiding heavy brush cover, and at higher elevations during archery season. I plan to hike about 1-2 miles away from roads for more room. Any tips for this rookie on where to go and what to look for? I'll be going in solo...

Thanks!!!

barel74

Reaction score
good luck, and as you said, get off the roads and away from the crowds and you should be fine. I'll be in D6, and saw lots of deer last year.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
You best chance for success will involve a B tag, a backpack and a wilderness area. Good luck and welcome to the madness.

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
I hunted B3 late season last year with not much luck...saw the deer, but got no shoot (archery).
IMHO 1-2 miles is not far enough, but it's a start...also, heavy brush and cover is plentiful in B zone as well as some steep terrain...Remember to have fun and enjoy!

Good luck!

upcedarcreek

Reaction score
hifi55-

Now for a contrarian view......Last year in B3 I bowhunted natl. forest 9 days and saw 3-6 bucks each day. I hunted close to the road where there was a ton of traffic. I only saw 2 other hunters who actually left their trucks to hunt in that time. After 25 years in the B zone I really feel that a quarter mile off the road is just as good as five miles, maybe better. I don't seem to see as many hunters as the guys who I talk to who pack way in. I do believe I see as many deer. I saw several BIG bucks that were bedded down such that they could watch the trucks rolling by within 100 yds. of their beds. It was my second year bow hunting, I still have not let loose an arrow. I have been close to a lot of bucks, just haven't had things come together just right yet. Knowing where those bucks were did make it easy once rifle season opened.

hifi,

If you would like some B zone ideas, let me know.

hifi55

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys...

upcedar, would really appreciate that! Thanks!!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom