Good and bad news for bird hunters in SoCal

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Jim Matthews

7/17/02

GOOD NEWS FOR DOVE HUNTERS

Two short pieces of news that will make bird hunters happy in an otherwise bad news bird year. First, Department of Fish and Game and Desert Wildlife Unlimited have teamed up to have 29 dove hunting plots planted with feed in Imperial Valley this year. Last year, there were just seven of these plots open to the public and the hunting was exceptional. Second, the dove call count data -- an index that tracks dove population size -- is up pretty dramatically, and hunters should see more birds than in over a decade.

BAD NEWS FOR ALL OTHER BIRD HUNTERS

Waterfowl numbers are approaching all-time lows again, thanks to drought and overharvesting. Everyone should read George Reiger's conservation column in the August issue of Field & Stream to get squared away on this topic. Quail and chukar broods in the Mojave Desert, both east and west, are nearly non-existent thanks to the lack of rainfall. Department of Fish and Game biologist Andy Pauli counted 184 chukar and none of them were young-of-the-year, indicating the birds produced no young. Of the 149 quail he classified, there were only 10 young in four broods. A horrible desert bird production year.

If the drought weren't bad enough, the National Park Service staff could be responsible for vast losses of wildlife over broad areas of the preserve if they continue with the removal of developed water sources that have supported wildlife for over 75 years -- especially in this drought year when many natural water sources have simply dried up. What they are doing is criminal. It's just a shame that it's only the hunting groups who are howling about this mismanagement of the desert.

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
Pray for rain thats all we can do. Its seems that its going to be a tough quail season

bloodsports

Reaction score
I dont trust the accuracy of DFG Brood counts.  In order to get an accurate count they would have to get out of their trucks but they dont!!!   On a recent scouting trip at one of my chukar spots I watched two DFG guys sitting in their truck glassing the hill sides supposedly doing brood count in the area.  When I asked them how it looked they informed me that they have not seen a singal chukar in 3 three day of doing the counts.  With that news I continued to my spot.  When I got there sure enough I ran into two coveys of chukar 50++ birds and endless amount of Quail.  In all Iam not worried Ill get my birds...

Gregg

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I think you are mostly correct about the brood counts.  I know QU does theirs a little differently.  They will actually sit near a guzzler or water source and count birds that they see.  It can be long and tiring work, but I thinks its crucial to conservation.

I do agree that with all the lack of rain the signs would point to a low count of birds.  Maybe consider not taking as many birds as normal to conserve for the future.  I tell you what - unless I KNOW that there are lots of birds in the area, I'm not going to attempt to take a lot of birds.

Mojave

Reaction score
Well, at least in the part of the Mojave where I live, their predictions are pretty close. We have had a lot of pressure on our guzzlers and barrel waterers, as the birds seem to have lost their usual water sources. They seem OK close to homes, but it might be problematic hunting near some guy's swimming pool! Out in the real sticks, 3-10 miles from any homes, there are virtually no tracks in the arroyos that usually show them at this time of year. Take heart - They will be back!

songdog

Reaction score
I'm seeing decent groups of birds but virtually no little ones.  The rabbit population sure is up though.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
I kicked up three nice(20-30 birds)coveys at Carrizo last weekend. All adult birds. I'm still seeing some very young birds around some local water sources. Hope they hold out till October.              Scott

limit7

Reaction score
I saw a few quail a couple of weeks ago but no chukar on the Carrizo.  I did see some pig sign though.  

Pigbodies

Reaction score
limit7,

Where exactly is Carrizo?  I here guys on this forum talking about this area, but I'm not exactly sure where it is in relation to where I live (Corona).

Hep

Kernhuntr

Reaction score
Pigbodies,

Carrizo is off of Hwy. 166 near the town of Maricopa (by Taft). It's part of the Carrizo Plains National Monument that slick willie signed before he left office.

You take 166 to the Soda Lake Rd. turn off at the old Union station.

Kernhuntr

Top Bottom