Good day in the field

Cal hunter

Reaction score
I was in the blind at 5:45 and about 15 minutes they were calling from the roost.Next thing I know instead of crossing like they do every day they fly down and coast about 60 yards past me.So I sit tight and after there all on the ground I started looking for the big boys and there were 3 very respectable toms.I started in with the calling and they were interested but I didnt have a decoy and they were looking for the hen but she wasnt there I was losing them and they were slowly working there way towards another property.So I grabbed the bow and slipped out of the blind and started to crawl up on them.I closed the distance to 30 yards and took a shot MISS! right over his back.Nice thing about the bow is they didnt go anywhere.I crawled a little more and now had one at 20 yards.Came up on my knees drew back and put the 20 pin in the middle and let her rip.THWACK! The sound every bow hunter loves to hear.Turkey jumps and starts wobbiling up the hill and the opposite leg on the exit side was broke.Im thinking dead turkey.Wrong!He made it to the road behind the property and I waited thinking he would be dead soon.Spent half the day looking for him and never found him.Sucks,Its a terrible feeling when you dont recover but damn what an awsome day of hunting!

Lumpy

Reaction score
I feel your pain, had the same thing happen to me years ago and it sucks!!!!
God Bless

adolf209

Reaction score
same thing happened to us yesterday, we thought we lost him and just happened to find him 4 hours later, NOT dead! I have a new respect for these birds, they are tough!

Tominator

Reaction score
Nice story, but the ending sucks... It happens so keep your chin up.

oneshothunter

Reaction score
sorry jay man we need to hook you up on some rage heads for turkeys ... i had 2 toms in the zone both on the short beard side had a lady come in with a beard wow im thingkin come closer and your mine and within 40 mins i see 3 ladys with beards all out of the zone next week we will give it a shot lol .. also the place close to work .. little after work hunt

Top Bottom