Good Gunsmith for old guns in Cali ???

KTKT70

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good gunsmith that can do work on old rifles. I have a Remington 742 30-06 that is hanging up on the side of the mag. If the mag is out the gun will open and close just fine. I would like to find a guy that has done work on the 742 in the past and can help get my gun working right.

So far one shop has said he will not work on the gun and turned down 25 jobs on the 742 last year. Another shop said my gun is no good and I should just hang it n the wall and get a new modern gun.

I put a different mag in the gun and it opened and closed one time before it also hung up on the side of mag.

Thank you for the help. The gun looks clean and I was told it was working when it was put in the safe a few years back. I really would like to use the gun for hunts if I can get it working right.

Last edited:

KTKT70

Reaction score
I never thought it would be so hard to a good old school smith in cali. Hope someone here knows of a good guy that can help me out.

Schnitt

Reaction score
Joe Casetllo In San Jose.
Old school Italian. He is more into bolt action and big bore (elephant) guns, but he reamed the barrel on my auto 5 for steel shot, and re-barreled my 03-a3.

If he wont work on it, he will probably know the person that would.

KTKT70

Reaction score
thank you for the info. Seems old school guys are hard to come by these days. Everyone wants to make and sell AR stuff. I have nothing against black rifles but they are by no means the only good guns around. I just think its the cool thing these days. Lots of people like to play gi-joe. lol

Schnitt

Reaction score
I went by Castello's today and brought up your Rem 742. He agreed that those were not very good guns, and that many are not worth working on. He said they ware out, and the head space between the bold and the barrel opens up. Barrels are welded and not replaceable. I told him yours was having an issue feeding. He thought that cold be fixed by tweaking the magazine.

He said you should call him.
408-264-6212

KTKT70

Reaction score
sweet. Thank you for the help. I will call tomorrow and hope for good news. Maybe he can do a deep clean for me and fix my trouble at the same time.

Top Bottom