good morning

ouachitamtnman

Reaction score
Yesterday started as a disaster. I was running late and the first 15 spots I came to were covered in rigs. It was ridiculous. I passed at least 25 rigs in a big loop through the woods before I finally did what I knew I should have done in the first place. I went to some private land that I've got access to and parked my truck and headed for a back field that I had heard some in not too long ago. I snuck my way through the woods to the field until I was close enough to see. I spotted some hens and about that time I hear a gobble. I get to looking through my binoculars and watch 2 big toms and 2 hens in the field. The toms gobbled several times and stayed in strut the whole time. I couldn't really do anything because of getting there so late so I decided to leave it for in the morning where I'd knew they'd be. My plan was to be in there before daylight and instead I woke up at 6:20, mad as hell at myself for apparently turning the alarm off in my sleep this morning at 4. SO I haul butt out to the same spot and get there about 7 and they are gobbling on the far side of a hill in the feild and I was able to get to the top of the hill but still couldn't see them because I was laying on the ground afraid to move too much. THe wind started whipping and every time they gobbled it sounded like they were in a different spot, sometimes farther and sometimes closer. Well, they got quiet for a while and the last time they gobbled it sounded far off so I decided I'd try to make a move. I got to my knees and was just about to stand and there, about 150 yds down the hill were the 2 toms and 1 hen. I ducked back down and was able to get set up so that I could get ready and watch the birds and eventually the hen left the gobblers and when she did, I started calling a little bit and I got to see them strut,turn my way and start slowly walking towards me. The hen came out of the woods and started following the gobblers until about 40 yds out, she stopped them and got right in the middle of the 2 while they strutted. I was scared to take that 40 yd shot so I waited and waited and then the hen started walking away and the toms were about to follow so I had to shoot so right after they let out one more gobble I took aim and let loose. One started flopping and the other 2 scattered. I swear this one had the biggest beard but I'm afraid he was the smaller of the 2. I was disappointed to say the least in the spur length.

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
i thought it didnt look much like california,great country you got out there ,keep up the strong work

calquail

Reaction score
congrats! what kinda gun is that? Benelli? Do you like the turkey stock on it?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Nice shooting Ouchita.
I see all our public areas covered up in AR plates when MO opens up, I know the feelin off trying to wedge into a spot somewhere.

I'm dreamin of a hunt down in that part of the Ozarks. Been a long time since I was down there. I wanna look at some of them treasure trees too.

Top Bottom