Google Earth for Scouting

the manley

I just posted this and realized that some of you might also find this helpful, if you aren't already doing it.

In Google Earth, you can set the Elevation Exaggeration to make the 3D features match the actual area terrain. This changes the relationship between the peaks and valleys to create a more reasonable terrain map. So when you are scouting (in google earth) you can better plan what mountains you can climb or valleys you can get down into.

Go to the options menu (under tools) look at the 3D VIEW tab, toward the bottom there is Terrain Quality, make sure the box [x] Show Terrain is checked, then change the Elevation Exaggeration (i use 1.75). to create a more resonable relationship between the 3D mountains and valleys. try adjust ing the number a few times and checking the results against an area you are familiar with; you will see that the terrain starts to look better with regard to the peaks and valleys relationships. I find this helpful thought some of you might also.
Good luck!

TonyS

While we are throwing tips out, I recently explored a new area by Google Earth. Since part of the location was accessible by road I wondered what the terrain looked like. Using the 'street view' function I was able to see exactly what the terrain is like. Kinda nice.

map

Will the "street view" function label the Hiking Trails?

Sent from my iPhone/Tapatalk

map

I just found out that when I tilt the top of my iPhone 4 towards me I get a 3-D Elevation Model.

I'm using the free application with "AutoTilt ON"

Sent from my iPhone/Tapatalk

Top Bottom