GOOP Alternative?

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
I've been looking for Marine Goop for almost a week now with no luck. I went to Wal-Mart and was told that it was discontinued(checked on their website too but found none). I went to K-Mart and they had none. I went to a to a large home improvement chain store but they only had Plumbers GOOP, General Household GOOP, and Carpenters GOOP. I then went to 2 different automotive supply stores and they had none. I just got back from a marine supply store and they didn't have any(they even said that they've never heard of it). I understand that this stuff works great on the Pelican 1120 cases, so that's why I'm trying so hard to find it. Any other ideas where I can try to find it? If I strike out and can't find it, is there another "good" option that I could use??

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
The "household Goop" is waterproof and sticks like .... well uh...Glue.   Works great with the pelican.  You do need to rough them up a bit, like with any other type of glue.

whitetailfan

Reaction score
CFB, The Lowe's store here has LOTS of it so if you can't find it at your local Lowe's or Home Depot let me know and I'll pick you some up and send it if you want to pay my cost plus shipping. I'll take payment via Paypal.

davered1

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that ALL GOOP is the same just differnet package. I have used all types and they all work the same.

REALLY WELL!!!

kmitch

Reaction score
I've used some stuff called Parabond. It's a single component material and comes in a tube. I bought this stuff from a RV service place to seal a roof mounted AC gasket. It seems to take some time to setup as in several days. I suspect it sets by evaporationg the solvent. I've used it on glass to metal and MS20 fresnel lens to metal with no failures.

When gluing materials like glass and metal together it's important that the glue remain flexible over a range of temperature. The differences in expansion coefficients between the two materials creates some incredible shear forces if the glue is rigid and will cause the glue joint to fail.  

Keith

Shrewshooter

Reaction score
The stuff i use is the "Permatex aultra black RTV gasket maker #5988) and it is grate. Once it drys it becomes like rubber and you can't peel it off, it has to be cut off.I even used it to glue pieces of bark on my trailcam and you can not get the bark off.Had my cam in the rain for two days and no leaks at all.It's cheap and at any auto store. Mike

Top Bottom