goose decoys

mdhntr

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to try my hand at canada goose hunting for the first time. I am on a pretty tight budget and would like to make some silhouette decoys. Does anybody know where I can get a pattern to make some out of foam board or something?
Thanks.

mouthcallinmatt1

Reaction score
I'd would call one of the silo manufacturer's and see if they would sell you just 3 or 4 decoys. That way you will have a pattern for different positions. Better yet, find someone that already owns silos and use theirs.

I heard a great idea of one of the forums once. We have an election coming up and there are always signs left out by the candidates. I think they are made from that corregated plastic like Outlaw used to use for their Jenny Vane snows. Drive around and pick up those signs after the election...you'll be doing the candidates a favor since they are required to pick them up or they will get fined for leaving them.

bcadvnt

Reaction score
I would bite the bullet and buy 4-6 bigfeet and add to you #'s each year. You will not regret it and they are just as effective as a couple dozen silos that are trash in a short while. My two cents.

Bose

Reaction score
I buy the samples out of Cabellas, and mix it up with a variety of brands. All my birds look alike, but just a tad bit different. Looks great using different sizes and a broader range of colors. You can usually buy samples from just about anybody.Good luck. Oh yeah, i only have spec dekes, which 6-8 make a small family group. Id imagine a spread for honkers would have to coincide with family groups or a mass of migrants traveling together. Sometimes less is better, but be prepared to hunt the masses sooner or later. Buying dekes is an addiction to some, be careful!

bzzboyz

Reaction score
My suggestion to you to get started is to buy some "Texas Rags" There cheap and easy to set up.

"Texas Rags"

These are almost exclusively what we use, with about 2 dozen hard shells and a few kites mixed in. It took us a few years to accumilate the hardshells. But we origionally started out with just a few hard shells and about 300 rags. Just add alittle more each year.

Dan Mallia

Reaction score
Start off with the best you can, even if its slow. You'll be happier in the long run. IMO, sillhouettes or full body dekes would be the way to go, the firt goose decoys I bought and killed geese over were a dozen Bigfoots. The flock has grown by now
and I have added more full bodies and sils.

Just my

Bose

Reaction score
Man that cash stuff sure disappears during decoy buying season! Cant wait for shell season, really put the hurt on the ol' checkbook!

gc4279

Reaction score
If you are going to be hunting geese seriously I would agree with the other posts. If your not sure how committed you are or live in a southern Calif. desert like I do you might try what I did. The geese move in and feed on the west side of town for only a short peiode of time and I didn't always get out to hunt so me and a buddy wanted to keep it cheap. We used any piece of scrap we could find from old paneling to 1/2inch plywood. Looked at the silihouettes in magazines,freehanded the first body and traced the rest. Then we did the same with the head and neck as one piece. Next we went down to walmart and bought 99 cent spray in flat black,brown and white. Just kind of oversprayed the bodies and painted the neck and heads black with the white band. We attached the heads with 1/4 inch bolts so they could be pivoted up or down and attached a spike to stick them in the ground. A few blasts on a call and the geese would come right in no problem. Keep in mind that I live in an area where the geese get hardly any pressure when there in the fields except by guys trying to sneek up from nowhere to hide and fools that think they can charge up in there trucks and get shots. I would'nt try this in an area where the geese are real leary.

Orygun

Reaction score
As previously mentioned, collect those election signs. You can make a very durable and lightweight deke. If, like the other posts have said, you will be serious about hunting geese, then start out what high end stuff you can.

If your not serious or your budget is like mine, consider starting out with a dozen Feather Flex canadas. The look like cartoon gese, but you can get a dozen for about $60 (sometimes way less). They are lightweight and you can use them on land and on water.

They work, they just aren't as cool as say, the full body dekes with the photo printed bodies and flocked heads, but they are more affordable.

mdhntr

Reaction score
Thanks for all the inputs fellas. I have gotten some patterns to make silo's for this year. If I discover I am serious about it, next year I'll invest in something a little better.

bzzboyz

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
That was just too easy!![/b]
Yea. Guess I pretty much just walked into that one.

But if I meant that I would have said "Texas ******"

OK. I posted and edited because I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the word I was using, then it hit me. Remove the F and L replace it with an"H" . Thats a whole different subject all together.

Top Bottom