• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Goose Hunting

Widux

Never heard of them but i'm booked with Lucky Lake Outfitters next fall for a 3 day hunt on my way home from BC hunt. also looked at R&B after i booked they look good also.

bearboy

All of the areas that were mentioned are very good. My dad farms in the Kindersley region and it has always been a hotspot. The problem in this area is that they have had 3 droughts in row and there is not a whole lot of standing water in this area so you may have to go to the SK river, this could also mean a lot of other hunters. Austins Service in Herbert is very good (uses pits)!! and he has been in business for 30 years. The town is located 2 1/2 hours south east of Kindersley, or 4 hours S.E. Battlefords. Anything S.E. of Herbert should be very good as their is a ton of water laying everywhere.

Good Luck!!

OK to stay in contact if you need more info

Brent

mouthcallinmatt1

Originally posted by bearboy@Jun 22 2004, 05:31 PM
Austins Service in Herbert is very good (uses pits)!! and he has been in business for 30 years. The town is located 2 1/2 hours south east of Kindersley, or 4 hours S.E. Battlefords. Anything S.E. of Herbert should be very good as their is a ton of water laying everywhere.

Good Luck!!

OK to stay in contact if you need more info

Brent
Brent, I'll be seeing Austin in Oct again this season. This will be my 3rd year up there and I haven't used any other guides but from my own experience with Austin I can honestly say he is "the man" in that area. He has an incredible pit digging drill that he made from scratch. Going as late as we do in the season, there is no other way to go than hunting from those pits. There haven't been many honkers there when we hunt in the middle of Oct but there are plenty of Specks and Snows.

Austin almost gave up guiding due to some health problems but he has since found a miracle cure all...he eats raw garlic everyday.
Hey, whatever works. He is a great guy too!!

Booking him for a hunt can be tough though since most guys book the next years hunt with him before they leave. I like using him because I don't have the time to freelance and other than digging the pits and putting you in the right spot, the rest is up to you. He's not a babysitter and the accomodations are modest which is what I like.

We fly in to Regina and from there it's only about a 1 1/2 hour drive to the west. Here's his phone number if anyone wants to see if he has any openings.

Austin's Service & Outfitting
306-784-3466 ph.
306-784-3426 fax

Widux

Well forget Lucky Lake- it was sold,unknown to me and new owner would not honor my res- found out day i came out of bush in BC- it left a real bad taste in my mouth- 1500 mi from home and no hunt- nice folks!

bearboy

Sorry to hear about your bad experience at Lucky Lake, hope you don"t think we are all bad guys. The nature of Saskatchewan has made it so you can drive down any road and find birds, some may only get shot at a few times. Hope this helps

Brent

Widux

Brent- it left a bad taste in my mouth towards the folks involved- the former owners for not telling me- and new ones(yanks) for screwing me up-as for folks in SK(and all over the west) almost all I've met have been really good to me- esp a garage owner in Regina who got my tranny fixed in 1/2 day and charges were fair- ditto Dodge dealer in Edmonton AB who redid my fuel system after a gas attendant put gas in my Diesel truck.

castor

Inactive
Brent- it left a bad taste in my mouth towards the folks involved- the former owners for not telling me- and new ones(yanks) for screwing me up-as for folks in SK(and all over the west) almost all I've met have been really good to me- esp a garage owner in Regina who got my tranny fixed in 1/2 day and charges were fair- ditto Dodge dealer in Edmonton AB who redid my fuel system after a gas attendant put gas in my Diesel truck.
You might want to revisit the post about the outfitters. Someone there says he just purchased it new to him and will honour your reservation. Fact is, if the old owner shafted you that is not the new owner's fault. Can't get much fairer than offering what he has offered.

Top Bottom