• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition review & videos. Oh how I wanted to love thee. Dash cam, dashcam,

spectr17

Administrator
Been wanting a GoPro cam forever. I read the bad reviews about them rushing the Hero 3 out in time for Christmas but I couldn't help my self and ordered one. So man possibilities, so many issues. Brace yoself.

Trying to use as dash cam for now when I can get it to work. So many issues from locking up, cured that with hard reboot to what appears to be overtemp shutdown. Now it shoots 2 mins videos, or 4 mins videos or maybe 5 min videos, I guess it depends on the camera how long it wants to work now after many hard resets per the GoPro Facebook page advise. Cover latch came off flying across the kitchen floor while opening it one time. The support site being down for days (totally unacceptable) so no upgrade for software is a well documented nightmare. Did GoPro find a new, more reliable host? Doubt it.

The unit is almost too small for reading the screen if you have older eyes, I used a magnifying glass and with the cell app WiFi connection it's much easier to see and set the settings. I was able to record for almost an hour before it got wonky so the battery lasts that long at least. No lens cap came in the box so I guess I could call support and wait 1 hour for help and hope I don't scratch the lens up till one arrives.

The GoPro cell app is slick, you can turn the cam on and off and change settings. I'm using mine with a Samsung Galaxy Note II. There is a preview display that shows what the cam is seeing and recording. The record viewing only works with ProTune off, with Protune on the display shows "No Preview". It also shows battery level but unfortunately no data space available so you'd better have enough SD cards if you shoot a lot of video.

The remote is a joke, one AAA battery and it lasts for maybe an hour. By the time I figured the camera and the remote out the remote battery was already low.

The change to micro SD cards was a PITA for me since all my other cameras run SD cards. Good luck finding any micro SD cards bigger than 8G in stores, you'll have to order them online. You're in trouble if you drop one of them tiny suckers in a shag carpet or in the woods.

This camera is a NO GO at this station. Sending it back for refund. Returning the camera is another hassle as you have to call support to get a RMA, another 1 hour wait staring at the wall. You'd think a company as hip as GoPro would have a self generated RMA on their website, but wait, a website that goes down for days? Maybe not such a good idea.

Dash cam in low light. More videos for you to see how this camera performs as I get them uploaded.

GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition. Vehicle dash cam night test - low light

1080p, 60 fps, medium view, auto WB. Protune off,
Rendered with Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 12, 1080 60p, 29fps, no color correction.
Mount is GoPro suction up mount

[video=youtube_share;UvH_oQyOLcM]http://youtu.be/UvH_oQyOLcM[/video]

spectr17

Administrator
Pic from GoPro on 7 meg rez setting. No color or adjustment to image, just resized to 600 pixels wide for posting here. The GoPro Hero 3 is very tiny, almost spy cam size and fits in a shirt pocket perfectly. For me it's so small its hard to manipulate and take pics without getting your fingers in the frame.

Daylight video. Go Pro Hero 3 Black edition daytime,1080p 60fps, medium view, protune off. Camera was hand held for this test, outside the waterproof case.

Rendered with Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12, 1080 60p, 29fps, no color correction.

The audio is decent with no wind, if windy the audio is almost useless like on most camcorders without an external mic with wind sock.

[video=youtube_share;wpq6PeUlcRA]http://youtu.be/wpq6PeUlcRA[/video]

GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition Vehicle dash cam night test with ProTune ON.

1080p, 60 fps, medium view, auto WB. Protune on, GoPro says Protune provides better night time video enhancement. From my testing you can see further at night with Protune but the image has a lot more grain in low light which is to be expected. In decent light the video isn't bad. My windshield has a lot of pitting from the sand here in the desert so some of the spots/graininess is from the pitting. This video would look much better with cam mounted on hood or fender and they do make tethers to catch the cam if the suction cup mount fails. I've seen videos of this mount on planes going 115mph so it's a pretty good mount but I wouldn't use it without a tether myself unless you want to see your new cam go tumbling down the highway at 60 mph.

Rendered with Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12, 1080 60p, 29fps, no color correction.
Mount is GoPro suction up mount

[video=youtube_share;3RfoVyiBaNY]http://youtu.be/3RfoVyiBaNY[/video]

dtj6ppc

Until Go Pro comes out with a telephoto lense I will not even consider their cameras for action videography..........seems to me, a variable lense is an absolute must for action photography.

I will stick with common standard telephoto video cams mounted on Go Pro holders............Don

spectr17

Administrator
The GoPro fisheye lens is compelling dtj6ppc, I'm not sure if a telephoto is needed or not. Would it make the camera more expensive and bigger?

Here's some better video from the GoPro mounted on my truck hood at Fort Hunter Liggett and not behind my grainy windshield like above.

[video=youtube_share;WobPQvYktEU]http://youtu.be/WobPQvYktEU[/video]

dtj6ppc

This fisheye lens is compelling dtj6ppc, I'm not sure if a telephoto is needed or not. Would it make the camera more expensive and bigger?

Here's some better video from the GoPro mounted on my truck hood at Fort Hunter Liggett and not behind my grainy windshield like above.

[video=youtube_share;WobPQvYktEU]http://youtu.be/WobPQvYktEU[/video]
Intuitively you would not think that you would want a telephoto lense in an action camera, mainly because it requires some operator feedback and adjustment, many want an action camera that you simply turn on and off and the camera captures everything in between.

What I have found is that all action filming is highly dependant upon capturing precise detail in image and movement............without the proper magnification for a particular action capture, correct detail and movement depiction is almost always totally lost.

Imagine an entire football game that was shot with a single fixed lense............Don

Top Bottom