Got a 30 degree bag for backpacking

Huntin Fool

Reaction score
Ya, I know it is not probably the warmest but I am young and I will more than likely hunt A-zone and maybe D8. I got it for a really good price and it weighs next to nothing which is what I wanted. I have a fleece lining so maybe if i did get cold I would bring it on my next hunt. I thought if i get cold i can put on a jacket or something of that nature. I wanted you experienced guys input on it, hopefully i didn't make a bad choice.

Arrowslinger

Banned
Reaction score
I think for the early season and especially A Zone, it's a great choice. I use a 20 degree bag on 90% of my hunts.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I am rolling with a 40deg bag and hunted all the way thru the northern zones Rifle opener mid September at 7000ft with it and was good to go. Got a tad chilly a few times but had a rain pullover I could have thrown on.

If ya get cold covering your head with the whole bivy/bag for a while warms it up pretty fast.

Also I had never thought of it until Family Tradition mentioned it last year, after you heat the water for your food at night heat another batch and pour that into a nalgene bottle with a tea bag and ya got a little heat source in the bag with you, plus you got some caffeine in the am.

Plus handwarmers make a huge difference. And a beanie and some thing gloves and my 1lb 40deg bag is good to well below the rating.

I generally plan on putting everything I have with me on at night, unless unnecessary.

Huntin Fool

Reaction score
Thanks for the respones, I had no clue what temp rating I should of got, guess i chose alright.

brave52000

Reaction score
I too have used a 30 degree bag on mid-August archery hunts. I end up sleeping in my base layer gear, and then throwing a hand warmer in the bottom of the bag. I'm thinking this year of going to a 15 degree bag, and not have to worry about getting cold.

barel74

Reaction score
got tired of throwing another blanket over my bag, went to a 15° bag. Wondering now if I should've went to 0°.

easymoney

Reaction score
I use two bags depending on the weather, a 30 degree for warm hunts and a 10 below bag for winter hunts. I use a bivy sack over each and a tarp in good weather and a 3 season two man tent when it is snowing or raining.
When I'm packed in tens of miles from my truck in country that is best suited for mountain goats I want to know I can stick it out...

Reaction score
30* Bags are awesome when paired with the right gear.

IE.....Woke up at 4am in my 30* Marmot w/OR Bivy under 4" of new snow @ 11k in Oct and only felt REAL cold once I crawled out to get dressed.

Its all in how much you want to deal with day in day out on a backcountry hunt while making sure you walk out alive.

FT

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
I too think you made a good choice. It should serve you well with the tips above.

CA Karen

Reaction score
You could also get a silk liner for the sleeping bag, which will keep it cleaner and add over 9 degrees of warmth to the rating. A good quality sleeping pad also will help. I use a 15 degree bag with silk liner and it works great in early fall hunts in Utah where you get snow.

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
I have a Sea to Summit bag liner that is very light and compact and adds up to 15 degrees to your bag.

Top Bottom