Got a CWA Goose Lake draw! Any Intel?

k_rad

Reaction score
Super stoked, got a CWA draw on Goose Lake for the 23rd great Christmas present. Any one hunt it yet? In blind #2 ...

sent from "not so smart" phone...

dustin ray

Reaction score
I was there 2 weeks ago there was no birds and not all the ponds where flooded but I'm sure it will get better soon and Kern will be open so the birds will be moving around good luck

cjack

Reaction score
I've been there 6 times this season so far and only took ducks on one day when I got a canvasback and a widgeon. Other days I have seen a few ducks and missed some opportunities but as "dustin ray" stated it's been generally slow so far. I think that part of the reason you don't see numbers like you do at some of the preserves is that this is only it's second season and they don't keep water on the property year round like they do at the Kern leaving them dependent solely upon the migration which hasn't hit it's stride yet this far south. That being said it is only a few miles from Kern which will be open when you go k_rad and last year in mid December the place really picked up especially after Kerns opening which forced birds to look for safer waters. I was in blind #2 this Wednesday and only saw a few birds too far to shoot, going again on Saturday on the hopes I will be there when they show up and they will eventually. Good luck k_rad, perhaps I'll see you there!
Blind #2 is a stand up blind, here are a few pic's of the inside and the pond.....View attachment 86997View attachment 86998

Last edited:

GSP4Runner

Reaction score
I hunted there twice last year and was not impressed and did not shoot any birds.

k_rad

Reaction score
This is for Saturday the 23rd. Are you guys sweatlining it?

sent from "not so smart" phone...

cjack

Reaction score
They don't do a sweat line but until it picks up they have cancelations and once you are on the e-mail list he offers the open slots on a first come first serve basis. I think it will get better by December 23rd. I enjoy getting out with my dog and it is a comfortable and convenient hunt for me.

mallardslayer82

Reaction score
Like everyone else has said birds are not there yet. We shot limits last year towards the end of December. Being that I have 4 resies for December there it better pick up! I shot it last week saw 3 ducks so it's only a matter of time��

chavarriamj

Reaction score
Shot the club right next door and new birds every where this past Saturday. :)

k_rad

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.! It has been getting cold so that is welcome news. I will be taking out my two nephews for this hunt. They have only been on a couple of duck hunts but never a really "good" one so hoping this turns them into duck addicts like me! Ha-ha. good luck in Dec. Mallardslayer! Cjack text or PM me my phone blew up and I lost your info.
KR

chavarriamj

Reaction score
Bring walking sticks or boat oars as the mud at Goose Lake at least to my experience is bad !

mallardslayer82

Reaction score
Ya the mud is bad. They have nice gravel paths to the blind but setting and picking up decoys the mud is pretty soft.

k_rad

Reaction score
Can't be worse than Wister mud...can it?

dustin ray

Reaction score
yes it can vary soft bottom a walking stick will help from doing a face plant

dustin ray

Reaction score
the ponds that have gravel walk ways are great but I'm not sure about blind #2 id take a tub to float out your gear i use a concret mixing tub from home depot drill holes in the corners and put a rope threw the holes easier to drag it than all that weight on you shoulders sinking you deep in the mud

k_rad

Reaction score
the ponds that have gravel walk ways are great but I'm not sure about blind #2 id take a tub to float out your gear i use a concret mixing tub from home depot drill holes in the corners and put a rope threw the holes easier to drag it than all that weight on you shoulders sinking you deep in the mud
great Idea. I was gonna bring the deer cart but that seems to be a better way if it's all gloppy. Thank you DR!

dustin ray

Reaction score
id take a deer cart also its the ponds where you need a tub id call Michael Greer and ask him about pond #2 he's a vary nice guy

chavarriamj

Reaction score
If you have a sled put it on your deer cart to the entry of the blind then float you gear to the blind. I use a ski pool or a ohr as it is as bad or worse the Wister !

cjack

Reaction score
Gravel paths to the blinds this year, it's not bad at all. I stopped bringing a pole because I didn't need it.

COWBOYUP

Reaction score
Gravel paths to the blinds this year, it's not bad at all. I stopped bringing a pole because I didn't need it.

Has anyone been up to Gosse Lake within the last week? Wondering if the report has changed any since Saturday when Kern oppend up.

Top Bottom