Got a new 30-.06 tonight

FoCoHugh

JHO Team Member
Reaction score
Went to the gun show in Loveland, CO today. Got a Mossberg 30.06 bolt action with a 3x9 scope. The scope has no name on it, but it is identical to my Bushnell on my Springfield 1903, which is now up for sale.

Very excited. Love my wife.

eoats

Reaction score
Been shopping around for a 30-06 also. What sold you on the Mossberg?
My list has the Savage (not the Axis), Marlin x7 & Weatherby Vanguard on it right now.

FoCoHugh

JHO Team Member
Reaction score
My 1903 has some barrel flex issues. Like me, it is old, so these things happen. I have a Mossberg shotgun and LOVE it, so I trusted the name. Also, as a teacher, I am not dripping in money, so the price point was good.

I know that there are more sought after brands, but the check book said "no".

Rob P.

Reaction score
Been shopping around for a 30-06 also. What sold you on the Mossberg?
My list has the Savage (not the Axis), Marlin x7 & Weatherby Vanguard on it right now.
*Cough* *Cough* Buy the Weatherby *Cough*

Last edited:

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
The Vanguard is Weatherby's low end rifle. It's made by Howa. You might be surprised how cheap it is to own a Weatherby if you buy a Vanguard.

map

Reaction score
I purchased Savage 110P during 1968, and had to make do with that cheap rifle for my entire life. Make sure that you start off with the best rifle that you can afford, because after raising kid and all, I was lucky to have gas money.

Sent from my iPhone/Tapatalk

eoats

Reaction score
Funny thing, I was handling a Savage in a shop & it sure felt good. Action smoother than any other he had, including the Vangaurd....
Nice package deal with a Nikon scope too.

But it was a 308 & I kinda have my mind set on a 30-06.

map

Reaction score
Funny thing, I was handling a Savage in a shop & it sure felt good. Action smoother than any other he had, including the Vangaurd....
Nice package deal with a Nikon scope too.

But it was a 308 & I kinda have my mind set on a 30-06.
I got good service out of my Savage 110P, and it survived two CJ5 Jeeps that I used for road hunting while I was younger.

The only problem is that the first shot with a cold barrel is off by 2" at 100 Yards. (To the right) I tried floating the barrel, and everything.

The fancy oak stock with roll over cheek piece has to be Tru-Oiled every few years. I use the spray can that gives a hard gloss finish for boar hunting in heavy brush. It stands up to the scratches better.

Sent from my iPhone/Tapatalk

freezer

Reaction score
That's weard about the Savage. My son and friend have 110's both in 7 mag and have had no issues with them. My friends has a great stock while my son's looks like a 2am bar queen, fat and ugly but functionable.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
I'd go with the Vanguard too. Every one I've handled shoots incredibly well. My best friend's 300 Weatherby/Vanguard shoots 1/4a" 200 yard groups!

FoCoHugh

JHO Team Member
Reaction score
The only problem is that the first shot with a cold barrel is off by 2" at 100 Yards. (To the right) I tried floating the barrel, and everything.

The fancy oak stock with roll over cheek piece has to be Tru-Oiled every few years. I use the spray can that gives a hard gloss finish for boar hunting in heavy brush. It stands up to the scratches better.
This barrel is factory floated. It's also a synthetic stock, so I am guessing no issues like you had.

Crazy thing is that I haven't had time to shoot it yet. I bet it's about another two weeks. Sucks.

catchdog

Reaction score
my friend bought a mossberg in .270 . the rifle shoots good but the scope that came with it sucked bad. He had done some work for me so I bought him a nikon . Now things are not just a blure 15 min after sunset. The only thing I dont like about the Vanguard is that the forarm part of the stock is so fat. Funny thing about a smooth action is that it goes from gun to gun not just brand and mod. My friends son has a vanguard and the action is way more smooth than my Savage or my wifes rem mod 7. But not near as smooth as my rem 700 that is as smooth as a babys a$$.

KTKT70

Reaction score
any one ever shoot a 300 Savage ??? we have a real old one. Its a neat gun. Has a rotery inside mag. You can read a number on the side of the gun that tells u how many shots u have left. I also was told that it was one of the only lever action guns that used a pointed tip bullet as they dont line up end to end. This gun was my dads fathers so it is pretty old. No soft butt plate on this bad boy. It is all wood with a metal plate. lol

myfriendis410

Reaction score
Browning makes one that accepts pointed cartridges and Winchester used to.

KTKT70

Reaction score
i just did some looking around. i guess it is a model 1899. i will try to get a pic or 2 of it when the Lt. Col gets home.

iforge03

Reaction score
those savage model 99s in 300 savage are excellent deer rifles. id love to own one

KTKT70

Reaction score
i hope it will b a good pig gun also. It was my grandfathers gun and i think my dad will let me use that as my pig gun if i take good care of it.

Shmave23

Reaction score
I have a Savage Model 99 in 300 savage. That is a great rifle the one I have was given to my Grandpa from his Dad. It was in the running for the US military but the M1 Garand won the toss.

Top Bottom