Got drawn for D12

bajaandy

Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for...
So I've lived and hunted in D16 my entire life. On a whim I thought I'd put in for D12 this year, knowing I had about a snowballs chance in Blythe to get drawn. Well, like I said...
Anyway, (and I know this is frowned upon in the forums) I'm asking for a little help. I'm no newb, and I've been in the dez plenty, but I've never actively hunted it for anything other than yotes and jackrabbits. I've got a bit of an idea where I want to go for a starting point, and I am well aware of the concept of finding good sign and scouting. And I'm not asking anyone to give up a secret spot. Just maybe a few bread crumbs to get me going in the right direction? What do ya say? Anybody wanna throw a dog a bone?
(Flame protective suit in place.)
Oh, and feel free to PM if you wanna give me a word or two of wisdom outside the prying eyes of the World Wide Web.
Thanks guys.
Flame on.

WrstQuailHntr

Reaction score
I spotted a buck last year on dove opener (maybe a few days later). It came down from the desert to the fields below. Shoot me a PM and I can give you the exact spot.

fritojay

Reaction score
Andy good luck. I live in El Centro and have taken several bucks over the years in d12. Have not hunted it in several years as we keep putting in for x9a as a 1st choice. We will hunt d12 again after we draw the x zone 1 more time. In the good old days you could get d12 as a second tag. Now you damn near have to put it ad a 1st choice to get it.
I cant give you our areas under penalty of death from my hunt buddies but you are right, scout and find scat and track.
Take plenty of drinking water as it can be quite a warm hunt especially if you are hauling one out.
we have drawn d16 again this year as a 3rd choice 3rd year in a row but have not taken 1 yet.
good luck

bajaandy

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I appreciate the replies. In the end, I know it's just getting out there and gettin it done. I have a couple of spots I want to start with, so if anyone is willing to entertain a PM, let me know.

FritoJay, I almost always get a D16. This year for some reason I thought I'd put D12 down as my first choice and D16 as my second. Well, I got the D12 (which I didn't expect!) and didn't get the D16. GO figure! But I'm looking forward to the challenge. I love the dez to begin with, and this will be just one more excuse to go out there. Oh, and I got an AO tag, so scouting for general season will have a potential bonus. (Like I'm gonna arrow a deer in the desert. A guy can dream, can't he? Mucho respect for those that do!)

Anyway, looking forward to seeing some of you surly old curmudgeons out there on opening day!

bigshot

Reaction score
So how did you do bajaandy?.... see or tag anything.

bajaandy

Reaction score
Tag soup for me last season. Lot's of sheep and a bunch of burros. No bucks. But it was really cool to hunt the dez! I wanna do that again!

Top Bottom