Got lucky and drew a Nevada unit 6 late deer tag!

devobrodie

Reaction score
After 8 years of trying I got lucky and drew unit 6 late riffle for deer!, I have hunted archery in unit 101/102- 4 times back quite a few years ago, and I hunted Elk in unit 74, both of those units are in the vicinity but I haven't been into unit 6 yet. looking forward to doing the research and getting out there! If anyone is familiar with unit 6 and wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction I would appreciate the help, Hope some of the other people on the site had some luck in he drawings this year!!

quicknick

Reaction score
Nice bud. I got lucky and drew a late archery tag for 101-109. If you are half as exciting as me your head is spinning. I feel like im on cloud 9.

devobrodie

Reaction score
Congrats! I have archery hunted there 4 times, but it was early season so not sure if where I was seeing bucks would be of any help, let me know if you want discuss it. I hunted mainly in the area below Angel Lake, and around Winchell Lake, so I am guessing there will be below there in he late season

quicknick

Reaction score
I think it depends if they get weather or not. At least that is what i have heard. Im going prepared to back pack in high if i need too. Any info you want to share would be greatly appreciatted unfortunately i have only ever hunted in 032 so i dont have any experience in the ruby's. Im just looking forward to hunting a new area, i keep trying to remind myself its 6 months away!

devobrodie

Reaction score
There are two trails we went in on, one starts in the parking lot of Angel Lake and goes to Greys lake, we were going after bucks about a mile or two in, on a big bald shale ridge leads to some Mnt. Mahoganies they were bedding in those. The other trail lead in to Winchell Lake, the trail starts on the road up to Angel lake, 4 miles back is where the lake is and there where quite a few bucks back in there. But even in the summer there were quite a few bucks down at the base of the mountains.

I hunted 32 a few years ago for Antelope, did you hunt deer there?

quicknick

Reaction score
Ya my fad had a tag last year. They upped the tags alot last year but when we got a snowstorm he killed a nice 3 point that was about 28 inches wide. How did you do on goats there? How many points did it take to draw?

Btw theres tons of california bighorns in that mountain range. We saw sheep every day.

thanks for the pointers!

fishnhunt

Reaction score
I wouldn't hunt anywhere near the Ruby Mountains with that tag...
I would hit Elko and head north...
Congrats by the way!!
6x7 is right...a lot of burned country. That herd has suffered a lot as a result of these fires. Once you find the unburned habitat the deer will be there

Last edited:

6x7

Reaction score
Lots of barren burnt country in 6 from Tuscarora to I-80 you will be blown away with how much country is burnt over the years there,I would hunt out of Tuscarora or the independence range.

Last edited:

devobrodie

Reaction score
Thanks Guys! I am already buying maps and have a few hrs. logged on Google Earth! Appreciate the pointers, hope to be posting some pictures come November!! Also I let my son know I had been drawn, and he let me know he may have some leave before he ships off to Okinawa(better than the last time to Afgan.), so that would really put the frosting on the cake if he could go with me. Good luck to everyone in the few drawings that are left, and in the upcoming hunts.

superduty

Reaction score
I seen I missed your call the other day. Sorry I've been busy with graduation coming up for my boys. I rented out the Lions Camp up in Lamoille Canyon for that week and need to prepare. I think half the Spring Creek graduating class will be there! :) I answered your PM and will try and call you back later Dev. I pulled my usual lion tag I keep in my pocket, antelope shorter than ears and cow elk out of Jarbidge. My youngest pulled antelope longer than ears, mule deer buck, and cow elk. My pops out of Menifee Kali drew his cow elk our of Jarbidge and his mule deer buck area 10. I have 4 or 5 nice bucks in the Ruby's that I would like him to look at.

devobrodie

Reaction score
Wow you guys will be busy! Good luck to you and your family! Look forward to talking to you when things slow up a bit! We just had to call CA DFG and change my wife's deer tag choice from M3 to G3, cant have two great hunts that close together and still do them both justice, she has max points and has a decent chance at Doyle Muzzle Loader hunt but we need to wait until next year now, well if she draws the Goodale we wont be disappointed in the last! Good luck to everyone in the CA drawing!

Top Bottom