Got my bear skull

Monsterbull

Reaction score
Just got my 2007 bear skull back from High Desert Skullworks. Sweet.

[attachment=50812:Bearskull_side.JPG]

[attachment=50814:Bear_3.JPG]

Attachments

CATManReid

Reaction score
Looks awesome dude. I'm waiting for my rug to get back from the taxi. If I didn't have to put a bullet into my bear's skull, I would've done the same. Congrats!!!

1fitspirit

Reaction score
Nice! I've always wondered how they do that, to get all the tissue off. I guess they bleach it afterwards?

Monsterbull

Reaction score
Not officially scored, no, but I took a tape to him myself. I came out with 17 11/16.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
1fitspirit, I use dermestid beetles to remove the tissue then degrease it to remove the oil from the bone(prevents yellowing over time) then it gets a strong dose of peroxide before it's sealed. Click on my signature below to see pics of the bugs at work.

Glad to see it made it home OK monsterbull!

Scott

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Nice, I keep Scott's number in my phone so I can finally meet him with my bear skull, last year didn't happen, but 08 is the year I send him some money.

Monster that's a good looking critter, get it scored officially, bears can be trickier than it appears, and you could be missing a bit and be in the book.

Where in NorCal are you, I know this one dude in SacTown, but he is kinda hard to get a hold of.

Monsterbull

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bearclaw @ Apr 2 2008, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Monster that's a good looking critter, get it scored officially, bears can be trickier than it appears, and you could be missing a bit and be in the book.

Where in NorCal are you, I know this one dude in SacTown, but he is kinda hard to get a hold of.[/b]
Well, I suppose I could take it to the gentleman in Petaluma the next time I'm in the neighborhood to measure it for me, he's the closest. But, I don't know, 5/16 is a lot to make up just for that.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Just make sure you take into account the rear point on the skull and the outermost point of the teeth, if that bear has a decent "knot" on the back and you don't take that into account, you got a book bear there, also if you are measuring from tween the front teeth, and not the outermost point of where the teeth are, again you are shorting that bear.

Either way that is a great bear, and Scott does great work with his bugs.

Congrats again. But I think the best trophy from that hunt was the silhouette pic of you humping that big joker and your gear out, that is one of only a few pics that aren't of my kids that I can recall that I didn't take, great stuff.

Monsterbull

Reaction score
Interesting. You know, I eyeballed it with my tape and I did take the rear bump into account, but I did go to the middle of the front teeth. I'll try it again with a couple of squares. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks also about the pic; for me it's a great reminder of the pain. The memory keeps me motivated on my workouts.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I have never met ya, but I remember that pic well. The effort to setup the camera and that shot was well worth it, very little has come out of the mags that rivals that pic, as I remember it without having to think about it, if that makes sense.

Also on the skull for the length angle the teeth up until the line from the outermost point of the teeth and the outermost point on the skull are parallel to the floor, so the teeth are raised up to the point where the rear bump is.

I don't know that it will get in, but it may, which would be cool.

2rocky

Reaction score
MB,

You are still good for the CBH book...Your first entry is free...

Make it up here on a weekend, and I know where we can find a tom turkey or two...

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom