Got my bull yesterday!

Goatboy

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to draw a once in a lifetime any elk tag here in ND. After seeveral days of scouting I knew were I wanted to be so we went into the ruff stuff as far away from the roads as we could get. We hadn't seen a single bull while scouting so my hopes weren't to high, but then there they were 6 bulls!
They had no idea I was there as they fed our way, and one shot from my 7mm STW with 140 barnes X to the shoulder and the 6x7 went right down, my first bull!
He was no monster like the some of thhe bulls that have come out of there "1997 there was a 449 inch giant taken out of this same unit".
And he was in velvet yet, then the hard part packing that bugger out on our backs for 2 1/2 miles thru the badlands was tough! I have all the respect in the world for you guys that do this every year in the mountain states, it brutal! And with this early hunt the heat is such a factor so we had to work fast to get him on ice!

Well take care and good luck this fall!

gb

MEF

Reaction score
Congrats on your first bull! Packing one out makes you realize just how big they are. My back hurts just thinking about it! Mike

larrysogla

Reaction score
a big, big congratulations. Lots of excellent meat for the freezer.
God Bless. larrysogla.

in2blacktail

Reaction score
Thnaks for sharing..Awesome story..Sometimes it just goes in you favor and works out like that.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I was there as they fed our way[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
then the hard part packing that bugger out on our backs for 2 1/2 miles thru the badlands was tough[/b]
I bet it was a heck of a wotk out..Jeeezzz..
Congrats to you again and keep up the great work..

BDB

Reaction score
That' awesome, congrats on the bull
Got any pics to post, I'd love to see them?

Goatboy

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Here he is, he was a young bull with a ton of potential. The small points on the ends of his beams are small, but they were more than an inch so I counted them what the heck! Like I said he's no monster, but it's cool to get one in your home state when the odds of drawing these once in a lifetime tags are so tuff!

Good luck hunting this fall folks!

gb

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Way to go~!

Not very many hunts in the US where you can bag a bull in full velvet. That's a nice bull~!

bzzboyz

Reaction score
You lucky son of a gun.(on the draw that is)
Very Nice.

congratulations

Goatboy

Reaction score
Thanks Guys for the kind words, allot of good folks on this site!

Here's my son with him, sure wish it would have been him with the tag rather then me!

Jake

Reaction score
Goatboy,

He's a beauty!! WTG

Until this year I have never had an opportunity to hunt any Elk, hopefully my hunt will pan out.

Gongrats to you and thanks for sharing the story + Pics.

Mike

barel74

Reaction score
Just when you think the hunting can't get any harder, BOOM!! You get one, now the really hard work starts. It's all worth it though. Nice bull

Bose

Reaction score
All the way from California my friend! Good job, thanks for the pics, very enjoyable to see true life taking place.

Steve

Top Bottom