got my new pic board hooked up but.....

outbackalltheway

Reaction score
Ok, so I finally got my new board hooked up to my olympus d390. It started by taking pictures just every so often and now, the red light stays on while the green one blinks and it won't take any pictures. Any suggestions on how to fix it? hold on, now the red light it off and I have it faced at a sofa cushion and the green light never stops blinking!!

jayber

Reaction score
Did you get this figured out? I just got my Universal board hooked-up the other day so I wasn't able to compare notes until now.

mohican

Reaction score
When the unit first comes on it does a check of the system and the red light stays on, after about a minute the light will flash 4 times putting it into walk test mode for about another minute. This allows you to position your camera correctly. Next you will see it blink again 4 times and it will now be ready to go. So after initially setting it up you will have to wait about two minutes while it runs through system check and then walk test. I believe this is a great system startup, especially the walk test so you don't have to be opening the case back up to ready the camera. This sequences is stated in the online manual. The manual states 5 blinks but mine only does four.

Haymaker

Reaction score
outbackalltheway,

The green LED blinking like you're seeing usually is a sign that the PIR circuit is in a non-working state. This usually happens when you power up and down the controller too fast or if you have some kind of power connected to the board where it should not be.

What I would do is power the board down and totally remove the camera from the system. Let it sit for about a minute then just powre the board back up. If you do not see a solid green LED at this point there is something else going on. You should see a soild green LED for about 20 seconds then it will turn off. This is a normal boot up.

If this works I would check your wiring and make sure you do not have any power wired into the board from your external power for your D-390. Only the ground of the external supply should be wired to the power connection on the Universal board.

outbackalltheway

Reaction score
Haymaker, this must be the problem. When I disconnect the camera the board does exactly what it says it should do. However, when i hook the camera up, the problems begin.

Haymaker

Reaction score
That's a sure sign the external power supply is connected wrong to the board. Just check this and I'm sure you'll find a simple wiring mistake.

Haymaker

Reaction score
Off hand I don't remember, but there is a diagram under the "Camera Port" link on the Universal page.

outbackalltheway

Reaction score
Ok, I think I have all the wiring figured out but I'm still not getting the results I need. I have the refresh and shutter wired onto the camera. Now, I think I can wire the camera one of two ways. First way would be to run a dc type rig found on haymakers site. Problem is that when I rig it this way the board powers up but the camera does not. The other way haymaker has told me to do it would be to wire the power on/off to the external battery. I am assuming he means positive lead from battery pack to the green wire that is part of the phone jack cord. Then, the negative lead from the battery wired to the yellow common in the phone cord. I tried this and it did not power the board or the camera. I am sure I am missing something really easy but I'm new at this and learning. Also, since I am wiring externally, I thought I did not need to connect the power on/off and common to the slide inside the camera. Is this where I am mistaken?

Top Bottom