Got my new toy yesterday......

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Well, I finally took the plunge. I just received my new Lyman Great Plains Hunter, and I'm very pleased. (As if I expected anything else?) It's a great looking rifle, and I expect that it'll shoot as good as it looks. So far, it's "pure stock", but I'm thinking about a set of Marble's sights. I like the long tang buckhorn style sight that they offer. For now though, I'm going to sight it in, and shoot with the sights that came on it.

The stock doesn't appear to have any finish at all on it but stain. I'm thinking about an oil finish with Linseed oil, and some type of sealer. Don't you mix Lacquer or Varnish with the Linseed to get a durable oil finish? Has any one of you guys ever done it? What proportions should I use? Any prep work necessary?

I'll let you guys know how it shoots soon. I'm thinking about one afternoon this weekend if I can get the yard work done while the mornings are cool. Wooo Hooo!

AMMOe

Reaction score
Belch, If you want a rubbed oil look without the fuss and yellowing, try Flecto-Varthane #66 Clear. If your gun has stain just rub it on, wait 10 minutes, wipe the excess off. Dries like a hand rubbed finish. It's been my favorite for 15 years. Often I'll use 600 grit to "rub" it in with. The fine slurry the abrasive and the Flecto make fills the wood without altering the color. You wipe it off in 10 minutes, just the same. Just an FYI. ~AMMOe

FTTPOW

Reaction score
I've always used boiled linseed oil, not mixed with anything else. I'm not saying mixing or even using something different will work or not, just that I've never used anything else. Part of my pre-hunt ritual is to give it a rubbed in coating before season. That helps it keep that egg shell look to the finish. If I get caught in the rain, and I usually do at least once a year, I'll give it another coat of linseed oil. If it's looking like rain, I'll rub in a little bear grease on the wood and cover the metal with bear grease ahead of time. I'll even water-proof my lock with it after priming and it'll go off even in a steady rain, every time. If you're using a caplock, try a little dab of fingernail polish around your cap. (It doesn't matter what color). I know this is a little off the original topic, but I just couldn't help myself!

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Well, I've had my Lyman Great Plains Hunter out twice now. I like the gun. It has a great finish, and really good overall workmanship just as I expected. The set trigger is a nice addition (I've never had one before), and the wood is straight-grained, and smooth dark walnut. All total, I've probably shot it in the neighborhood of 50-60 shots. These are the last ten, and I'm still not happy with the load. Given that my eyesight is not great, this may be as good a group as I can expect at 100 yards, but I would hope the gun would shoot better than this. I've tried 90 grains, and 95 grains behind four different bullets, and this is the best group. I'm not through playing around with the powder charge yet, but for now, I could hunt like this if I could get the group up eight inches (and left about one).

I was disappointed in the packaging as the barrel was laid in the box upside down. This put the sights right on the bottom layer of cardboard, and by the time it arrived, the sights had cut through the box, and were exposed on the bottom. The bluing had rubbed off of the top of the rear sight, and the tip-top of the front sight. No matter, I had to sight it in anyway, but I can't get enough upward adjustment. This group is OK, but I was shooting at a target above this one! That's about 8 or 9 inches low, the way I figure it. I have a new set of sights ordered, so I should be OK after I change them.

What kind of a group should I expect from open sights at 100 yards with 40 year old eyes? Is this group in the acceptable range to you guys, or would you be dissatisfied?

Attachments

VHRAM

Reaction score
congrats on the gpr Ive still got one on my want list.

Richard McCullough

Reaction score
go up in your bullet weight to atleast 300, 325 to 350 grain will be better and that 90 to 95 grains will tighten up.

Top Bottom