Government shutdown and forest service gates

TakeABackRoad

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the forest service is going to lock gates due to the government shutdown? I tried to call a few ranger stations but no one is answering. I was planning on going back up to x-10 this weekend but I'm afraid about being locked out.

slanttop357

Reaction score
I would say your SOL just like everybody else. I tried calling also i dont think they came to work.

Last edited:

smithstation

Reaction score
I dont think they will lock USFS property as long as there is no dangers or hazards in the area. Rim fire area will be locked up but most areas wont. Its "our land" or so they always say, how can they lock us out of our own land..... lol Good luck!! You might try calling a local fire station or USFS foire station as they will stay staffed through the shut down.

PCguy760

Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...7789ce-2a36-11e3-b141-298f46539716_story.html - read that article , sounds like they can , will or might lock down whatever is lockable but cant stop anyone from using lands that have public road access - BUT NOT THIS: At some parks, where access is not controlled by gates or entrance stations, people can continue to drive, bike and hike. People won’t be shooed off the Appalachian Trail, for example, and parks with highways running through them, like the Great Smoky Mountains, also are likely to be accessible. Officials won’t scour the entire 1.2 million-acre Grand Canyon park looking for people; those already hiking or camping in the backcountry and on rafting trips on the Colorado River will be able to complete their trips. The care and feeding of the National Zoo’s animals will all go on as usual.

MULEY51

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Per PCguy...
"The care and feeding of the National Zoo’s animals will all go on as usual."

Yep, we already knew Congress gets paid. That's what you meant...right?

PCguy760

Reaction score
panda-cams will go dark at the shuttered National Zoo ..................................... I read that this morning and my eyes welled up with tears and I have not been able to work ever since, just sitting here hitting refresh F5 on the Jesse page all day, what will we do without the Fed funded panda cams? So what if if homeless have no home and schools aren't safe, how can we live without panda cams?

solus

Reaction score
law enforcment are still working

Tuolumne

Reaction score
New Melones is 100% shutdown, no hunting there until this mess is fixed.

Jules

Reaction score
Yeah, my in-laws just got there last night for a two-week stay, and now they have to leave.

slanttop357

Reaction score
I cant remember is there a gate on Sheep creek truck trail/lytle creek rd off of "lone pine rd ? thanks for any info.

alphaclone

Reaction score
There is a gate from lytle creek road to sheep creek road. Didn't see one from sheep creek to swarthout canyon, or from lone pine to swarthout canyon. Should be OK

Last edited:

mtnsammy

Reaction score
So far Big Bear is still open. Went wood cutting above Fawnskin and all gates open.

sabershooter

Reaction score
Any opinions or options for d 3-5 kinda hard finding info when everything is shut they give u a link to info and that is shut down to frustrating as I bought all new equipment and havnt Ben out in years and now this bs

Mjp62

Reaction score
The Forest Service locks gates even when they're open. Government shut down to them means nobody wearing the smokey bear suit waving on the highway.

Caneman

Reaction score
i say this is a time to get out the bolt cutters and not worry about it because they will not be there to find out!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom