Governor Martin O'Malley Proclaims July 4th Take Me Fishing™ Day

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Governor Martin O'Malley Proclaims July 4th Take Me Fishing™ Day In Maryland

7/1/08

Final free fishing day of the summer

ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Governor Martin O'Malley has proclaimed Friday, July 4th Take Me Fishing™ Day, and is encouraging Maryland citizens and visitors to take a young person out for a fun, fishing adventure on Maryland's third and final free fishing day of 2008.

"We are committed to continuing the traditions of our parents and theirs by teaching Maryland's children to fish, and in doing so instilling an appreciation of the past, present and future gifts of our spectacular waterways," said Governor O'Malley. "Take Me Fishing™ Day is an opportunity for families to bond and to help our next generation grow to become informed stewards who will continue Maryland's rich fishing heritage."

Maryland's citizens have a strong connection to the state's diverse aquatic resources, and fishing is a tradition which has been passed down through generations of Maryland anglers. Fishing is an enjoyable outdoor activity that instills a love of nature, teaching children about the importance of conservation and protection of our natural resources. Family outdoor adventures not only foster a connection with nature but also between parents and children, and provide families with an activity they can enjoy together for a lifetime.

While children under 16 do not need a license to fish in Maryland, Free Fishing Days allow those 16 and over to catch and possess finfish in the tidal and nontidal waters of the State for recreational purposes without an angler's license, Chesapeake Bay sportfishing license, or any fishing stamp normally required by the State.

To help ensure that all Maryland children have an opportunity to experience and connect with nature, Governor O'Malley recently signed an Executive Order establishing the Maryland Partnership for Children in Nature. This coalition of state, local, private and non-profit partners is charged with promoting the well-being of youth by accelerating environmental learning, connecting communities to parks and public lands and expanding opportunities for structured and unstructured outdoor time in nature for both play and learning. By taking a child fishing, parents provide him or her the chance to develop ties with our waterways and reinforce the importance of sustainability in future interactions with the environment.

"Take me fishing day is one more opportunity for everyone to enjoy Maryland's great outdoors this holiday weekend," said the Governor.

Take Me Fishing™, is sponsored by the Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation (RBFF), a 501©(3) non-profit organization whose mission is to increase participation in recreational angling and boating and thereby increase public awareness and appreciation of the need for protecting, conserving and restoring this nation's aquatic resources. RBFF is funded primarily through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

For more information about fishing in Maryland, visit http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/.

Media Contact:
Wiley Hall (410) 260-8002, (410) 507-7526 cell or whall@dnr.state.md.us

Latest Posts

Top Bottom