GPS Devices for Private and Public properties

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
What Is the best GPS device that you can get without breaking the bank that shows private and public lands?

2dogs1name

Reaction score
OnXhunt app for your phone...$35 a year...detailed borders and tells you who owns the private land...you can map coordinates ahead of time if you have a bad connection.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
That sounds great, anyone else use this? Found onXmaps for hunts is that it?

Last edited:

CaliforniaKid

Reaction score
I use OnXMaps for my Garmin and it's awesome. I've been using them for many years now. They update their maps often, too, whereas some of the other services may only update once per year. Updates new private and public land areas.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
OPAH, I was using the OnXmaps mini SD card in my GPS on the little pig jaunt we took. Just keep in mind that if you go the SD card route, you will need to update it from time to time.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Use huntinggpsmaps with the tracking enabled to prove you didn't "stray" onto anyone's private turf.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
OK looks Like OnXMaps Is the route to go with Garmin or a smart phone.
thank you guys

MariotheBarber

Reaction score
I don't wanna hijack your thread Opah, but anyone have any experiance with those so called Back-track GPS devices? I've seen them for sale for around 80 bucks, figure they could come in handy, especially when hunting alone.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
I don't wanna hijack your thread Opah, but anyone have any experiance with those so called Back-track GPS devices? I've seen them for sale for around 80 bucks, figure they could come in handy, especially when hunting alone.
They are crap. They point you in the direction you originated from, not the route you took. Might be okay in a parking lot to find your vehicle or on flat open areas but on broken ground in the backcountry they are pretty useless.

Last edited:

TheGDog

Reaction score
If cash is an issue.. go for the eTrex 30. It's not a touch screen, and it's not the fastest in the world. But it's small and very light and runs 20hr and 2 AA's. Relatively easy to mark waypoints... but ya gotta "type" ur little note or name for the waypoint with an on-screen keyboard that you maneuver your cursor thru with a 4-way joystick/button combo thing. (Since the typing-speed is slowed down by this, you just enter terse descriptive names that you'll remember that place later when you get back home. Like "BIG Oak" or "ROCK PILE") Then when you go back home you use their Garmin BaseCamp software... together with the OnXhuntMaps installed within it... and you'll get to see where you hiked and the marked waypoints you took and observe how close or near they are to private property borders nearby.

Be sure you are buying the like updated version of the 30 which has built-in compass in it (1st version apparently did not have that)... when looking at the display whilst holding it in your hand it shows your location position cursor arrowhead pointing in the direction you're actually pointing it in. That part is very neat because in the BaseCamp software together with Google Maps and Google Earth you can spot locations you think are interesting adn you want to check out... get their GPS coords... go into Garmin BaseCamp... insert a new Waypoint... copy+paste the GPS coords... give it a descriptive little name.. then (when in BaseCamp) even give it a different icon picture for that point... like a Deer icon... or a Bear Paw print icon, for example (which you will see later super-imposed on the map on the GPS unit).. then save it. Then... when you're in the field and can't "See" that plotted point in your eye-level "street-view" of the world... it's nice to be able to see by the direction of the arrowhead cursor of your current position where you are in relation to the point you wanted to check out.

Last edited:

KTKT70

Reaction score
Good info as always. My question is about backcountry reception. If you are on top of a mountain in the middle of no mans land, will these things still work??? Can I walk right up to the border of tejon and know I'm still not over the line? Seems like at some point these things could not keep up with you? Maybe a test is in order...

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Good info as always. My question is about backcountry reception. If you are on top of a mountain in the middle of no mans land, will these things still work??? Can I walk right up to the border of tejon and know I'm still not over the line? Seems like at some point these things could not keep up with you? Maybe a test is in order...
I have the Garmin Montana with the OnXMaps SD card. The OnXMaps SD card is designed to work in all Garmin color GPS units. Yes, you can walk right up to the property line. Granted there is a small margin of error , depending on how many satellites your connected with. Since I use a GPS connected to satellites, it works everywhere, unless your under a heavy canopy of trees or brush. I have yet to experience that. I cannot speak for the phone program, as I do not use it.

KTKT70

Reaction score
Nice. Thank you for the fast anwser. I guess I would not try to be right on the line. But good to know it can get me close. One could use such a tool to find hidden gems.

Top Bottom