GPS HELP

Cazador Suerte II

Reaction score
I have a basic GPS unit, a handheld.  My question is, how do you get the information (like a plot of a trial that was recorded) on to a computer to print as a map?  ANy ideas from the pros?

PowDuck

Reaction score
To get any specific information we would need to know what kind of unit you have. But here are the basics:

To get trails, waypoints, routes, etc. onto a computer you have to have a PC cable that is made for your unit that connects the GPS to the computer. Then your computer has to have some sort of mapping software that will accept info from your unit.

PowDuck

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if they had it. More likely to find it at Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc. or go online to your GPS manufacturer's website. You can order direct from them (although they sell straight retail.)

Billy in VA

Reaction score
Good software is Mapsource from Garmin and Street Atlas or Topo USA from DeLorme. Both and most data cables can be gotten from Cabelas as said by PowDuck.  Later  Billy

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Cazador Suerte II,

Fry's, REI and Sport Chalet all have the GPS cables and software locally in SoCal. I use OZie Explorer for managing my GPS routes/waypoints. Ozie software is about $75.00 but you can download free digital topo maps for anywhere in the US to use with it.

Goodtimes

Reaction score
Easy to say!  "You can download free digital topo maps for anywhere in the US to use with it."  Could you refer me to a page or forum that will be more specific in what a guy can expect from say Ozie Explorer or sites that have free downloadable topo maps?  I would like to understand most of the capabilities of my GPSMAP 76 but find nothing in the manual but data flow protocol settings. I am sure I saw a topic or link on your webpage that had some more specific info on what is capable.  I don't want you to have to say it all again if you have already covered the topic. It's all a mystery to me and I don't want to spend $75 plus before I get a clue.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Alan

Topclamdigger

Reaction score
 I use software from Maptech.com., a topographic map program called Terrain Navigator. This program will up/download GPS to/from computer, waypoints, tracks and routes; then print  maps that display the data. Terrain Navigator has many other useful functions to record and manage map and GPS data. This CD will display your GPS tracks on Topo maps that can be custom made and printed to fit your needs..... and much more....

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom