Grandmother, 88, Leads Texas Deer-Hunting Contest.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Monday December 17 8:28 AM ET.

Grandmother, 88, Leads Deer-Hunting Contest.

NEW BRAUNFELS, Texas (Reuters) - In a Texas contest to bag the biggest buck of the hunting season, 88-year-old grandmother Viola Meckel is the best shot of them all.

She is currently winning the competition in Comal County, north of San Antonio, with a 98-pound deer she gunned down earlier this month from the back door of her rural home.

Meckel said on Friday she spotted the deer and grabbed a rifle she keeps by the door just for such moments.

``I'd had him in the scope several times, but it was too far away,'' she said. ``Finally, I saw the buck coming up into my yard, and I shot him and I got him.''

It was the fifth buck she has downed in the past three seasons. Meckel said her late husband taught her to shoot and she's been hunting for years.

``It's quite a sport. I do enjoy it,'' she said.

Unfortunately, the excitement of the hunt may have been too much because Meckel later had a heart attack and is currently recovering in the hospital.

While the deer is small by hunting standards, it represents a growing population in an area becoming a suburb of San Antonio.

The contest comes to an end in early January. The winner gets a new hunting rifle.

venado

Reaction score
Jesse, that lady lives about 15 miles from me. Didn't say anything about the antlers which must be what she is leading the contest with...that weight sure wouldn't do it..! Hope that I'm still able to aim and hit at 88...quite a feat.

Fubar

Reaction score
I will be happy if I am still alive at 88. Way to go Grandma.                     Fubar

Haary

Reaction score
I used to hunt with a high school friend on his family's ranch by Whitmore CA.  His grandmother lived on the ranch and she was in her mid 80's and hunted with use every year.  She would sit on a stand and we would beat the brush for her.  She was responsible for helping me give a real nice 4x4 blacktail 24" wide.  She had spotted it but didn't get a shot at it.  When I came out of the brush she sent me up around to the head of the canyon and sent her grandson up the middle with his fox terrier.  They pushed the buck right up to me.

Later that week she shot a little forked horn in her garden from the kitchen window with 30.40 Krag.  She won the local buck contest for the smallest horns....  

Top Bottom