Gray Lodge Clean-Up Day

Woodduck

Reaction score
We are hosting the 6th annual Gray Lodge Clean-up day on April 14th. This is a fun event and gives you the opportunity to explore the refuge without a flashlight! Lot's of woodducks should be in the boxes, which is a great opportuntity for "Catch and Release" for those on the Woodduck crews. We'll have some fun events for kids, a great BBQ, and a CWA raffle and silent auction. Come join us! The following is the flyer with more details surrounding this event.

Gray Lodge Clean up and Field Day Saturday, April 14, 2001

Here is an opportunity to give back to Gray Lodge what waterfowl hunters and outdoor enthusiasts have benefited from over the past year. California Waterfowl Association (CWA) is seeking volunteers for light duty clean up and wood duck box inspection. Plenty of activities will also be available to children of all ages. All family members are encouraged to participate as the day will be educational, entertaining, and most importantly, improve the quality of our wildlife habitat.

Mike Womack, Gray Lodge Refuge Manager will also provide an update of trends in local/state refuge and wetlands management.

Coffee, Juice and breakfast snacks will be provided prior to hitting the field with an excellent barbecue lunch, raffle, and silent auction ending the day, around mid afternoon. A small fee of $5 per person will be charged to those eating lunch to help offset food costs.

What you need to do:

1. RSVP to the address below and include a check for food if applicable.
2. Bring outdoor work clothes, boots, and chest waders if you have them.
3. Bring Tools (gloves, hammer, pruning shears, rakes, shovels, etc.)
4. Send any contribution you can to assist CWA¡¦s clean up effort

For more information, please contact Rob Plath (925) 686-0760 or (925) 680-3938.

Please detach and mail to:
Rob Plath
18 St. Louis Ln.
Pleasant Hill, Ca. 94523

Name:________________________

Are you interested in becoming a CWA member ?Yes ĕ
No ĕ

Address: ___________________ ___________________

Number of attendees: _________

Attendees eating lunch: _________
X $5 $________

Additional contribution to assist CWA $________

Total $________

Gray Lodge Clean Up and Field Day

W

webbfoot

Phil,what time does the clean up start this year?
                           Bob Miller

Woodduck

Reaction score
Bob,

We should have the coffee hot about 8:00.  We're trying to get the work parties assembled around 8:30.  Lunch will probably be around 1:00.

duckme

Reaction score
I thought the refuges were closed after March due to nesting birds.Why is the clean up day in April.

Woodduck

Reaction score
Duckme,

Actually a large part of the Gray Lodge Clean-up day is directed towards those nesting birds.  We usually have about 4-5 crews out servicing the Woodduck nesting boxes, cleaning them and refreshing the wood shavings in the box, surveying eggs, etc.  Quite often we'll find a hen on the nest while we're working.  I was lucky enough two years ago to work with Ross Salo, who is licensed to band, and we banded quite a number of woodduck hens.  It was pretty cool.  We do ask volunteers to be real careful, however. More than once we've flushed hen mallards on the nest while walking to a woodduck nest box.  

We'll also have some other duties to help Mike Womack, the refuge manager.  Planting trees, sometimes painting some of the buildings, building woodduck boxes.  I haven't heard from Mike yet the specifics of what he needs this year.  But in past years all have had a good time.

We're planning a big BBQ afterwards in the parking lot with a CWA raffle/auction.

Please join us.

W

wildfowl

Can I show up and contribute, even if I don't fill out the registration form in advance ? The reason I am asking is I have some fellow waterfowl buddies that I want to bring with me. The problem is , I am not sure how many will make it as they need to arrange time off. Let me know, as it sounds like a great event...

Woodduck

Reaction score
Wildfowl,

You certainly can show up without pre-registering.  The pre-registration helps us understand how many to plan for lunch. But by all means, come!  And bring friends and kids alike.  It is a fun event!

Top Bottom