Gray Lodge

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I was up deer hunting at Gray Lodge and there are a lot of ducks.  There are tons of sprig and of course plenty of mallards and gadwalls.  There seems to be a lot more water also.  And as I said before people who usually hunt south of parking lot ten be prepared all of that burned and they leveled it with Cats so it doesn't look good for ducks at all.

Brian

Swampy

Reaction score
Thanks for the update! I had heard that it looks kind of blasted out of ten. More scouting needed for those south wind days.

Megadeth

Reaction score
As for the burned areas, they'll produce masses of birds next year.It's great to hear the bird gods are responding.

Whoadog

Reaction score
 When I was there I talked to one of the F&G guys and he said they were doing a controlled burn and it got away from them.   The way the restructured with Cats to do the different water systems I don't think it will come back in a year, but then again I am no biologist, thank god they don't make much and take a lot of crap.

Brian

Swampy

Reaction score
Seems they have a problem with fires at Gray Lodge. Wasn't very long ago they had a huge fire on the east side. It was a blessing because the habitat came back great in the burned areas. Can't wait.......

Whoadog

Reaction score
 Yes I killed a small buck on Tuesday because I got tired of the mosquitos, heat and walking in water, there is a lot of water this year.  There are big deer there but I don't know if I will put in for it again because of the conditions.  It is flat land and I am in great shape but let me tell you you earn every step walking in that crap.

Brian

Fubar

Reaction score
Whoadog  Congratulations! Sounds like you really earned that deer. I hate Mosquitos. Them little buggers really love me.                  Fubar

Greenhead

Reaction score
The biggest buck I've ever seen in California was at Grey Lodge. 5X6 that looked to push 250 lbs. He didn't see me because I was sitting in the tules all quiet like, and I subsequently shot him at least 15 times in my mind. Perfect shot every time. I'm good.

I've also almost hit a few big bucks racing down the road to get to the lots at the Lodge. That joint is loaded, as are all the breaks along the river and creek bottoms.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Were 80% of the ducks still in the closed zone ?

I hunted there for deer a few years ago and was amazed that most ducks still hung in the closed zone. I'll agree...It was the worst mosquito conditions I have every been in. it was like a cloud hangin around me.

buckhunter

Reaction score
good job on the buck! any is a trophy if it comes from a duck hunting spot.

Whoadog

Reaction score
EA
 There was very little water in the closed zone when I was there.  They probably flood that last so all the ducks will move there to feed when the season opens.

Brian

DuckDestroyer

Reaction score
Has anyone been out to the lodge lately? I have been one of the few out there and was wondering how you are doing. Been real slow till last Weds when I hunted a popular hole that had no one in it. Average was 1.23 when I checked out which was a good day. Got only my second limit there this year. Most of the time it has been 0-4 each day. Ducks are around, we just need a good freeze. Later

Greenhead

Reaction score
I hunt The Lodge a lot, and you're right, it has been slow. Had a few good shoots there this years, but mostly a few birds and that's it.

Hunted it Saturday afternoon and it was slow. The place was empty, so when we did get birds to work, they were all ours. Tons of snows, but just not many ducks working around. Twenty minutes after shooting time, though, ducks were pouring out of the closed zone and into the marsh. Geez...

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom