GrayLodge 12/23 Sunday

Huntinfiend

Reaction score
Shot the lodge on sunday.....didn't really expext much, but ended up comin' home with a pile of dead ducks.  Picked up anchor about  11 with 5 green heads, 2 gaddies, 2 widgeon and a teal.  Not bad for a few hours work.  Would have stayed longer, but the constant flow of water entering my waders around "the boys" area, had me calling mercy!!  Anybody else do any good??

buckhunter

Reaction score
Hey Huntinfiend

Sounds like you had a blast. I have a ressi there for the 26 I haven't been there yet this year. I am not askin for any secret spot but where have they been shooting there. thanks

TealTumbler

Inactive
Reaction score
Hunted the lodge on saturday pretty windy we were up on the east side ended up two limits and a few more we shot a pile of ringnecks 11 of them 2 widgeon 1 pintail and got a bonus snow but it was awesome shooting those fast flying ringnecks we ran outta shells but we were gettin soaked so we headed out.

Megadeth

Reaction score
Got the opportunity to hunt LDC on Sunday, along with a slew of other guys. We didnt go for the honeyhole, although 10 years ago the whole place was a honeyhole.Just as we were picking up the dekes a pair of mallards swing over the treeline,already in range, and catch us both away from our guns. We both scurried for our guns,picked out the drake, and hammered him. What a perfect ending to a great day. The north wind was the key to the whole weekend. It was probably the first weekend all year where we had a brisk north wind, instead of the south wind. The water was a little chillier than past weeks. The remainder of the season is going to have the birds flying alot for food and rest. I also stopped shooting Estate loads. They were patterning way too tight, so I started shooting Remington Nitro steel @1265fps. 13/8oz. The slower shells and the better pattern helped alot. Kinda pricey, and thats another story. We totaled out 12 birds, all drakes, 2mallards,6 widgeon,1 sprig, 2 gaddys,1 greenwing. Its one christmas dinner Ill never forget! Merry x-mas to all.

Huntinfiend

Reaction score
Hey Megadeath

I hear ya on LDC.....I was lucky enough to pull #4 ressie for LDC a few weekends back on Dec. 2( the weekend of the first big storm ) We shot one of the blinds and got 2 limits in 1/2 hour....it was like hunting in a closed zone.  Plus got a couple bonus Snows too.  I've been shooting the Rem. Nitros all year..... no complaints yet.  But have't got into too many geese either.....don't know how they'll do then.

DuckDestroyer

Reaction score
     Glad you had a good shot up at the lodge Huntenfiend.
I always try to put in my time up there to get a few good shoots.
My problem is finding a spot that is away from the s@!# duck holes
so the birds aren’t spooked by all the banging.

I always heard Coots and cormorants ate better then Ringers…..
Cootcreamer? What is your opinion?

Swampy

Reaction score
To each their own I always say. One mans ruddy is another mans mallard. Don’t trash another hunter until you have walked a mile in their waders, that way you are to far away for him to hear you and you have another pair of waders.

That said, I have never shot a limit of bufflehead but I have in my younger days shot a limit of spoonies on purpose. Do bufflehead make for good table fare? They would seem to be a tough target to hit as they come screaming by. Any recipes?      

E A Hunt

Reaction score
It's all good when ya soak them in strawberry mush.

1 cup strawberry's mushed up
1 cup Widgonwaker crap
1 cup garlic

Soak ring bills for 3 weeks and then toss in the trash. Walla!!!!!A classic

Swampy

Reaction score
Quote: from TealTumbler on 8:01 pm on Dec. 26, 2001
Hey!!! Ringnecks are supposed to be the best eating duck of them all.
[/quote

Supposed to be? What do you do you do with yours if you don’t know how they taste? You’re scaring me more and more TealToungler.

Megadeth

Reaction score
Its all in the diet. If your questionable, soak birds (plucked or breasted) in a heavy solution of salt water for 3 hrs.

TealTumbler

Inactive
Reaction score
Yeah I have eaten them with mallards!!! Taste all the same family thought so too!!!

Advertisement

Top Bottom